The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 19, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
H6RBW

Can anyone help me identify this rifle?

Hello all,

I was given a rifle by a friend about 12 years ago, prior to my developing any interest in guns. At the time, he told me what kind of rifle it was, but I can't remember now what it is, where he got it, or, literally, anything he told me about it. And, shortly after giving me the rifle, my friend got married and moved out-of-state. I've since lost track of him.

Anyway, the rifle spent a decade-plus sitting in a closet. In the last year, I've started hunting with my father-in-law. I bought a new rifle for that, but my curiosity about this old rifle has been kindled and it's bothering me that I know nothing about it. Any help anybody can give me on a manufacturer, model, age, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 061911004011.jpg (101.0 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg 061911004250.jpg (71.6 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 061911004359.jpg (65.1 KB, 351 views)
Old June 19, 2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Powderman

Smiley!!!

Better known as SMLE--Short Magazine Lee Enfield. It appears to have been sporterized a bit. What caliber is it?
Old June 19, 2011, 05:25 AM   #3
SDC

It started out as a Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mark III*, built in 1944, but I can't see the manufacturer marking on the socket.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Calibre is .303 British.

It was sporterized by removing the military iron sights and installing a scope mount. The foreend was either shortened and reshaped or replaced. It appears the buttstock was extended for a tall shooter and a recoil pad installed.
Put on a scope and it would be a serviceable inexpensive hunting rifle but has no collector interest or much resale value.
Old June 19, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
H6RBW

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:56 PM   #6
gyvel

The markings are typical of what is known as a "Dispersal" rifle. After BSA's Small Heath plant closed down in 1943 (the sole remaining plant producing the No. 1 rifles), other "Dispersal Factories" continued production of the No. 1 rifles using cannibalized parts from other otherwise unserviceable rifles as well as some parts made at the R.S.A.F. at Enfield Lock.

Skennerton's book shows an identical cypher to yours.