The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 1999, 10:28 PM   #26
melster

Rob,

Just to be a smartass, I'd like to refute your statement about the feather and bowling ball. Your teacher is right. If both are dropped in a vacuum, that is, under the same gravity. The reason the feather doesn't drop as fast is because it has a higher surface area to mass ratio, and consequently, higher drag.

The proof for this is that acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects (9.?? ft / sec.) I bet if you dropped me and a two ton block of led from a highrise, we'd both go splat at the same time. Not to give YOU any ideas of course!

Mel
Old January 15, 1999, 11:06 AM   #27
Mute

One thing we should all remember, as people who entrust our safety to firearms, is the Murphy factor. Always try to prepare for the worst case scenario, because it's better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Though I've never had a magazine set on me, I usually have three 8 round mags loaded for my 1911. I have 5 mags that I rotate out every 3 months, so there are always 2 mags that are not loaded. It takes me maybe 2 minutes each time. It may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt me either.
Old February 3, 1999, 10:18 AM   #28
Jim V

"Resting" magazine springs after being compressed for a very long period of time will not return them to the same contition they were when they were new. If the springs would not feed rounds correctly after a period of time, there is little that you can do to return those springs to "life". Pitch 'em.

As an aside: I was asked to check several firearms in an estate and found a flint lock rifle that was cocked. As far as anyone could remember the rifle had to have been cocked since sometime in the late '30's when the oldest son had been playing with it and forgot to lower the cock. The rifle was built in the early 1800's. I lowered the cock, thinking there would be no spring tension left and was suprised to find that the lock would still throw a good shower of sparks. (I tried the lock with the permission of the owners and only after making sure the rifle did not have a charge in the barrel.)
Old February 4, 1999, 09:55 AM   #29
Ed Brunner

Or to rephrase the question:How much length and/or strength can a magazine spring lose and the magazine still function?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Old February 5, 1999, 07:41 AM   #30
Bushwhacker

The other day when I went to the range had 2 magazine springs fail on me so....
Have had the 2 since 1990-1991 S&W 59,15 rounds, have had both loaded pretty much all the time, will call S&W and see if they send some "free" replacements If not will order some from Wolfe spring.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Old February 5, 1999, 07:27 PM   #31
Walt Welch

Flyer; I also have a M59. I have removed all the factory mag springs and replaced them with either +5% or +10% extra power springs from Wolff. They work very well.
Old February 10, 1999, 01:34 AM   #32
utvols

Here is some industry info...
My dad works for a wire company that supplies the wire to the spring companies that make gov. spec. clips. For springs to be accepted they have to have no "memory" and be able to constanly perform. So from what I've heard any Mil. spec. mags such as Beretta, AR-15, Sig 228 etc should have no problem with spring life. Happy shooting!
go vols!
Old February 14, 1999, 10:34 AM   #33
Doc

I have a system to avoid extended compression of magazine springs. I empty each magazine through the barrel of its assigned weapon each week. That way it gets to demonstrate the strength of its muscles and enjoy a few hours relaxation before being pressed(no pun intended) back into service. - Doc
Old February 14, 1999, 11:56 PM   #34
Riss

Only worry about mag spring set if you have a GLOCK. Wolff springmaker and everyone else will tell you that as long as you have a good quality spring you WILL NOT have spring set. Glock is the only gun that to my knowledge that is having problems with their mag springs ( out of the box )!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 23, 1999, 12:25 PM   #35
Mike Spight

Rich: I know of no problems w/mag springs taking a "set" and then failing to properly feed ammo. I do, as a matter of course, rotate the loaded mags I keep with my bedroom piece (SIG P220) and my downstairs piece (SIG P226) approximately every 90 days. Hey, it can't hurt and takes all of 2 minutes.
Old February 23, 1999, 05:14 PM   #36
jimmy

Until I began shooting Glocks, I never had a problem with a magazine spring. Now I do. Why Glocks have this problem, how extensive it is, and whether Glock is still supplying springs with a relatively short life I do not know.

At any rate, on the minus side, the magazine spring seems to be the weak point in the otherwise strong Glock system. On the plus side, the Glock service department has been very good about replacing problem springs for me at no charge.