The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 31, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
ausher

misdemeanor- domestic violence charge and buying handguns...

can one buy a handgun with domestic violent charges? i moved to iowa from missouri. about 16 years ago me and my wife had a fight in our apartment and neighbors called the cops. neither one of us physically harmed each other, but apparently verbal abuse is just as bad. we were both arrested and let out the next day and had to take these classes. i cannot remember if we were ever convicted of any domestic violent charges or if taking the classes had it all dropped. anyways i was still able to buy handguns in missouri even checking that little yes box next to the question about conviction of domestic violence. so im wondering if i was never convicted or charges was dropped. in iowa we gotta get a permit to buy handguns im wondering if i should check no in that box on the application.
Old January 1, 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Conn. Trooper

Not to the best of my knowledge, misdemeanor domestic violence conviction would prevent you from owning a firearm.
Old January 1, 2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Toxdoc

Quote:
i cannot remember if we were ever convicted of any domestic violent charges or if taking the classes had it all dropped.
The answer to that question will make all the difference in the world. Contact a lawyer to help determine the legal way for you to fill out the Federal forms.
Old January 1, 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
357 Python

I'm with Toxdoc, time to call an attorney. It is better to pay an attorney a little now than a whole lot later. They can run a check of your criminal record to see if it is clear or what if any convictions are on it. You may also want to check with the Clerk of Court for the General District and Circuit courts in the jurisdiction the incident took place.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:51 AM   #5
B.N.Real

What ToxDoc said.

You need to know the right answer to put on the Federal firearms form.

The wrong answer is a felony charge.
Old January 2, 2011, 06:49 PM   #6
vytoland

Quote:
im wondering if i should check no in that box on the application

you need to submit this query to someone with a law degree or have a criminal back ground check run on your self.