The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Live45

First day at range with new pistol

Got a brand new Springfield Armory XD .45 a couple of weeks ago and today was the first day that I had a chance to get to the range to start breaking it in.
Ran 100 rds thru it and it performed flawlessly. This is the first .45 I've ever owned and having a shorter barrel, had me a little concerned about excessive recoil. I was pleasantly surprised that the recoil didn't seem as bad as my 4in Security Six .357. Actually it seemed a lot less, so that's good! The main reason I was worried about the recoil was because my wife would also be shooting this gun. I thought I'd maybe be able to scarf up some free brass while at the range but everyone, including me, was very quick to pick up their own brass. What with the shortages everywhere I feel lucky that I could even find the 2 boxes of factory loads that I had. There's no ammo to be found anywhere in popular calibers. Anyway, at lease I have enough supplies to reload my spent brass.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Jbotto

Congrats on the pistol! The .45 doesn't recoil sharply, but instead it gives you a solid push. I've never minded any of the .45's I've shot. I went out and shot the other day and only happened to find a handful of 9mm brass, one .222 Rem casing and one .243 casing. I thought I was doing good in all the snowdrifts on the range!
Old February 10, 2013, 04:11 AM   #3
shootniron

Sounds like you enjoyed the fine pistol you bought.

And yeah, the .45acp is a sweet round indeed.