The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1
wun_8_seven

a little story i'd like to share (long)

i was on a cell tower site at 2am in the boondocks of se oklahoma. i had left the farm gate open as there were no livestock in this pasture and it was open when i got there ,i saw truck lights come through the gate and head for the cell site. i walked toward the compound gate thinking it was probably the land owner seeing what i was doing.

the pickup pulled up behind my work truck and four very large very intoxicated men got out. i asked can i help you and one replied we're just gonna take what ever you have ,it was then i realized i had taken my pistol off and layed it in the floorboard to be more comfortable on the long drive.

suddenly i felt like i was in slow motion , my heart raced and i kept hearing in my head "think,think". i had waited way to late to react. i knew i couldn't let them get between me and the truck, i wanted to run for the door but thought they would know i was unarmed if i did that.

i had a flash light in my hand that has a laser pointer on it so i flip on the laser and put it in the middle of the closest guys chest and said bad idea fella's stopping them in thier tracks while i made my way to the door of my truck opened it grabbed my pistol and stepped back to the front of my truck for cover.they went back to thier truck and high tailed out of there. after they were gone it hit me i got week and threw up a couple times.now i never take my gun off til i go to bed.

Last edited by wun_8_seven; May 12, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Steam Boat

Thank you,
I am very happy that things turned out in your favor,and a good reinforcement to the rest of us that S**T can happen anywhere.
Be safe and stay armed.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
BillCA

Suddenly, wun_8_seven realized just why so many people opt to purchase an Airweight .38 snubby as a back-up gun.

That's not meant in jest. Often my full size carry is a 1911 Commander or a compact 9mm. In a situation like yours -- late nights in desolate areas -- I usually pack a lightweight backup. Right now, that turns out to be a 432PD in .32 H&R Magnum. Just enough to speak with authority but a very lightweight six shooter. I'd look at the S&W 638/438 as a backup gun and carry a Bianchi speed strip for a reload.

I'm glad things worked out well too. Though had they started spreading out and calling your bluff it could have gotten seriously fugly.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Terry A

Good thinking in a real pinch. And thank the good Lord that He gave you the ability to do that good thinking!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old May 13, 2010, 02:02 AM   #5
Bamashooter

keeping your cool in stressful situations will keep you alive. quick thinking. im glad it all worked out for you.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:46 AM   #6
45Gunner

All's well that ends well. The point made here is to never be unarmed, even when you think you may not need to be armed.
NRA Life Member
Old May 13, 2010, 07:01 AM   #7
wun_8_seven

i just bought a ruger lcp to carry in my pocket as a back up. one thing that really bothers me is i focused on the guy that was doing the talking, almost tunnel vison. he was the closest, i was aware of the others and where they were but if they had weapons i wouldn't have noticed.

i dont know if i was tired or complacent. but my guard was down and my mind set was in neutral.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:37 AM   #8
"JJ"

Well you might have been in trouble had any of them had a weapon. Don't cut your self short. "Should of, could of, would of"!! Hind site is always 20/20. The fact is you did something! IF they were armed it might have proved to be a bad choice. Who knows? As it turned out, what you did, probably kept you out of the hospital or morge! Kept you in possesion of your truck, money, & most likely your handgun in the floor board! Thank God you are ok! Thanks for sharing! It is always great when we can learn from each others experiences!! "JJ"
Old May 13, 2010, 07:55 AM   #9
AFSG

As I have always believed. "You don't get to pick your gunfights". It worked that time you lived you learned Enuf said.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:46 PM   #10
jrothWA

you did well and...

profited from the experience.

keep your head & found an GOOD substitute.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:42 PM   #11
MTT TL

That is odd that four drunks would try to rob you out in the middle of no where. But glad or you that it turned out ok and you learned from it.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:49 PM   #12
old bear

good job

Sir, you did what you had to do to protect yourself; and as a plus no one died that night, you done good.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:43 PM   #13
raimius

Good thinking. Sometimes a well-done bluff can save everybodies' day!

I guess this goes back to the ".22 in the hand is better than the .45 in the safe" (or truck, as it may be)
Old May 15, 2010, 08:55 AM   #14
Murdock

You did good. In the future you will do even better, if required.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Hank15

You adapted very well to a disadvantageous situation...

now I am gonna head out and get myself a laser pointer .
Old May 21, 2010, 12:11 AM   #16
chrisbarcelo

Im happy sir that everything turns out okey. No shots fired. No ones hurt.