The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2002, 08:04 PM   #1
PALongbow

44 Mag - 200 grain XTP's for Deer

I just reloaded my first batch of 100 rounds of 44 mag for my SRH revolver using the Hornady 200 grain XTP's. Has anyone harvested a deer using the 200 grain XTP and how did it perform???

Ron
Old February 18, 2002, 03:49 AM   #2
topstrap

I know this isn't what you were looking for but I used a 240 XTP this Fall to bag a nice Axis Deer in Texas at about 80 yards. Shot it in the neck (it's all I could see) and it ended up on the far side of the neck just under the skin. It opened up perfectly, I'm betting that the 200 will work equally well on a deer sized animal as long as it doesn't get into any heavy boned areas. Hopefully someone will answer you with experience on that particular bullet.

Topstrap
Old February 19, 2002, 07:03 PM   #3
sricciardelli

The 200 may be too light...I have hunted successfully with the 240 for years and am in the process of working up 265 and 300 grainers in the .44 Mag.

But, I have always limited the .44 handgun to 100 yards or less (I shoot with open sights).
Old February 19, 2002, 07:50 PM   #4
PALongbow

I personally think that bullet placement is key and a 200 grain bullet in the lungs will put a deer down. Maybe marginal shots may be an issue on deer with a 200 grain bullet but I don't think that 40 grain difference is going to make a difference even with a less than desirable shot on a deer. I could be wrong. Don't know.

Ron
Old February 20, 2002, 05:52 PM   #5
topstrap

I agree with PALongbow and sricciardelli 100% about shot placement and distances to limit your shots. Normally our handguns don't have the "slammin to the ground, blow out the whole backside" type of energy that a rifle hunter uses. If it's going out the otherside then it's not expending all it's energy inside the animal. I think for Whitetails the 240 seems to be pretty well suited. I used to use some 265's for Rams on silhouettes but for deer I think they would most likely not mushroom much and poke nice holes clear thru. I also have some SSK 320gr. cast that I used to play with and shooting into a log those buggers would sure penetrate but I could probably line up 4 or 5 deer and shoot thru all of them with that bullet. If hunting any larger dangerous game then that would be one I'd consider.

Everyone will have different opinions and share info on what has worked for them but in reality, it all comes down to how well the shot is placed. A well placed 158gr. in a 357 will do the job if put in the right place. None of us want to see an animal suffer or have to trail one that is wounded. That is one of the responsibilities of being a Handgun Hunter, stalk to within a distance you feel comfortable of placing your shot in the kill zone, wait until that shot becomes available.
Old February 21, 2002, 11:58 AM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

200 gr. will work - - -

- - -though it sheds velocity, and thus energy, rapidly. At PRACTICAL and sporting ranges, this will probably make little difference so long as you can place your hits with precision.

You don't say if you use a scope on your SRH. In any case, "sporting" means the range at which you can keep five out of five in an eight-inch circle, with field position. If you hunt from a blind, with a decent rest, this means one thing. If you prowl through the woods and take standing, unsupported shots, it probably means something entirely different.

If you use a scope and can produce the requisite accuracy at 50 or 60 yards, you may not have good expansion with the 200 gr. bullets. OTOH, if you load up REALLY hot, you may have excessive expansion up really close. I prefer the heavier bullets, with good penetration.

I've killed a few deer with 185 and 190 bullets from .45 ACP, but as above, I prefer to ensure penetration by use of full-weight bullets.

Best,
Johnny
Old February 21, 2002, 07:58 PM   #7
PALongbow

Johnny Guest,

My SRH is scoped with a 2X Simmons Gold Medal scope. Being fairly new to this revolver I have been practicing at 50-75 yards shooting off hand and off shooting sticks. Shooting sticks have drastically improved my shooting especially out at 75 yards.

I like the 200 grain XTP and it shoot really well for me with the load I have for it. By going to the 240 grain XTP I don't see where 40 grains is going to make a difference when shooting deer. Boar might be a different story but here in PA thats not an option for me.

I hunt with a longbow during archery season so I have learned to get in close to deer by hunting the thick stuff. I'm looking forward to hunting woodchucks and deer this year with my SRH.

Ron
Old February 23, 2002, 11:47 PM   #8
BIGR

I know you are talking pistol hunting but I Never shot any deer with the 200 GR XTP using a pistol but have used the 240 XTP in a inline muzzle loader. I have shot 4 deer with the 240 XTP .44 bullet and they fell where they stood. That bullet must do the trick. I think I would go with the 240 GR. XTP if I were you. Good luck on your decision.