The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 26, 2010, 09:41 AM   #1
OSUbuck

Moving from Ohio to Philadelphia. Help??

I am moving from Ohio to Philadelphia this week and I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) What are the laws associated with moving my two glocks over state lines? Also, once I'm in Philadelphia, is there anymore more I need to do, in terms of registration or anything else? (Note: I do not have a concealed carry. I just wish to store the guns in my apartment and take them out when going to the shooting range.)

2) Can anyone recommend a good shooting range in the Philadelphia area? I will be living in Center City if that's helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old August 26, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
PoorSoulInJersey

1) As long as the guns are unloaded and in a locked case in the trunk of your car, you will be fine. You can legally transport your firearms to and from your permanent home and a firing range in that same condition at any time.

There is no gun registration in PA, so you don't need to register them.

2) I used to live there but don't know anymore. I use Classic Pistol out in the northern suburbs.
Old August 26, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Jolly Rogers

Caution! Philadelphias Police Commissioner is Charles Ramsey recently the Chief of Police of the District of Columbia...Washington D.C. He is a sweet gentleman in person (I have met him) but he is extremely anti gun. Do some research about the citys regulations before you carry there or posess firearms in any overt manner. Better to be safe than sorry!
Joe
Old August 26, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Glock-19

I don't know about transporting or storing guns in Philly, but I have a PA Carry Permit and it is not valid inside the city limits of Philly.
Old August 26, 2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Whirlwind06

Also be aware that PA law bans the private sale / transfer of firearms (handguns for sure not sure about long guns). You need to go to a FFL to transfer them.
Old August 26, 2010, 02:53 PM   #6
PoorSoulInJersey

" I don't know about transporting or storing guns in Philly, but I have a PA Carry Permit and it is not valid inside the city limits of Philly. "

According to who?
Old August 26, 2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

www.handgunlaw.us is a good resource that might help you with some questions.
Old August 26, 2010, 03:09 PM   #8
C Philip

Quote:
I don't know about transporting or storing guns in Philly, but I have a PA Carry Permit and it is not valid inside the city limits of Philly.
This is not true. A PA permit is good in all of PA. The confusion may come from the fact that unlicensed open carry is legal in all of PA except Philly, but with a permit you can carry concealed or openly anywhere in the state (excluding courthouses, etc.)
Old August 26, 2010, 03:11 PM   #9
USAF_Vet

Your best bet is to check in with your local, county and state LE offices and ask.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Casimer

CCW and FTF sales are both legal in PA. Pennsylvania issues a License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF), which is effectively the same thing.

Philly is always trying to promote their own restrictions on these, but the state legislature and courts strike them down. In the last round their ownership restrictions were struck down and the sovereignty of the state asserted by the court. That seems to have settled things for now.

Here's a good forum to check out for PA gun laws and Philly issues - http://www.pafoa.org/

There are a bunch of ranges north of the city on I-95, only a few in the city. Holmesburg would be a good club to check out - http://www.holmesburgfishandgame.com/

Pennsylvania is pretty firearms friendly in general. Philly is beset with a lot of problems endemic to big cities and like many others has decided to demonize firearms. But their bark is worse than their bite. Just be sure to know the laws regarding carrying, transport, and such and you'll be fine.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:31 PM   #11
shrewd

a good place to shoot is the phila archery and gun club. As far as I can tell there is no archery but the people there are professional and the few I dealt with were funny and affable. A small but nice range.

http://www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com/

let me (us) know how you like it. Always nice to meet a Philadelphian shooter
Old August 27, 2010, 07:51 AM   #12
PoorSoulInJersey

You may want to check out the forums at http://forum.pafoa.org/ which deal strictly with Pa and have local subforums, with a pretty big one for Philly.

OOps, just noticed someone else posted that too!
Old August 27, 2010, 10:41 PM   #13
msb45

I would think hard about living in Philly. An adajcent burb would make getting a LTCF much easier. With one you CCW life is a breeze.

The point on Ramsey is spot on. Philly will do anything to treat you like a low life gangbanger. Philly is Detroit 5-10 years ago.
virtue, and enjoy more happiness, than a thousand slaves."

- Samuel Adams - 1774
Old August 29, 2010, 03:13 AM   #14
bamaranger

Philly......shudder

I was detailed to Philly, 13 months. I was actually present about 10 of those.
Five months appx in Upper Darby, a blue collar burb ,and 5 months w/in rifle shot of Indy Hall and the Bell.

They stole my truck 6 days into my assignment. I got it back, 6 months later.
Messed up, but I kept it 17 years. Ha! I escaped every weekend to the country to hunt or fish whenever possible.

I had a badge, so carry was not an issue. But crime was. Planning every jaunt. Where to walk, how to travel, where to park.

People everywhere. NOISE, dirt, smelly.

Everybody telling me "I" had an accent!

Tags
ohio , philadelphia