The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 2, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
vaeevictiss

7 1/2" barrel for 9mm ar

So i recently put together a lone wolf G9 ar15. The thing is extremely fun and I have already put 500+ rds thru it the first weekend i had it. I have sent in my paperwork to SBR the lower so i can chop the barrel and get a SWR Trident for it.

My question is where can i buy a 7 1/2" barrel? i know a shop that could chop mine, but id rather keep the stock barrel just to have a spare. I have contacted YHM, and they said they do not and have never done pistol length barrels. Not really sure why or what is so hard about making it shorter but w/e.

I also checked rock river, and they dont seem to sell just the barrel.

Also, on this topic, will going from a 16" to 7 1/2" greatly affect accuracy? I am not building the firearm for long range use obviously, but id still hate to render it to the accuracy of a standard pistol.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:00 PM   #2
C0untZer0

Shortening the barrel reduces velocity and the trajectory becomes less flat but that in and of itself doesn't reduce accuracy I don't think.

Reduction in velocity results in less accuracy at great distance because a 9mm round from a 7" barrel is not going to have the velocity and not going to go quite as far as a 16" barrel.

The main thing is that the sight radius shortens unless you're using a scope.

I don't think the accuracy would be reduced to that of most pistols because most pistols do not have fixed barrels. A fixed barrel is going to be more accurate.

I am guessing also that the mass of a AR SBR chambered in 9mm is going to be more massive than the average pistol and this equates to less over all movement of the weapon from the moment the primer is struck.

Overall I think it's going to be more accurate than most 9mm pistols maybe with the exception of the very high-end competition and target model 9mm pistols.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
vaeevictiss

Curious if id be better off sending it to doug at srt and having him do an
integral.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

Send it to Adco to have them cut and thread it.

Edit: Or, just buy one of theirs.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
rjrivero

Adco....Bar none.

I live in NW Ohio and Adco is my home town Class III dealer. With that caveat, know that the folks at Adco are serious about their craft and dedicated. Steve, Dave and Mr. Schuster are proud of their work and it shows.

I have a 16" barrel upper for this particular gun, and it shoots great out to 100 yards. I also have this sbr upper for it and it also shoots great to 100 yards. Not much difference really in accuracy. As for the muzzle velocity, I should probably shoot it over a chronograph one of these days. 147gr subsonics are subsonic in my 16" upper as well as my 8" upper.

That being said, this is my Lone Wolf G9 with an Adco barrel.

And here it is with a Trident 9 on the end.

Old August 4, 2011, 10:53 PM   #6
David Hineline

http://www.trosusa.com/

just keep asking it's a pretty easy barrel to make.