The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2001, 07:17 AM   #1
Toshmo

Turkey hunting wtih .22LR

I usually hunt spring and fall turkeys with a shotgun. Thinking of using a .22 rifle this fall season. Where is the "best" area to hit a turkey with a .22? I have heard that a shot in the back is recommended if a head or neck shot is not viable. What's the scoop?
Old October 24, 2001, 08:26 AM   #2
scouter27

With a .22 LR I'd only take a head shot. Turkey are very though, and the feathers won't let even one 3" 12 ga #4 pellet through at 20-30 yds, usually. So it is very likely to stop a normal .22 lead bullet too, Or step up to a center fire .22
Old October 24, 2001, 08:30 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I have personally witnessed a turkey take 3-5++ upper body shots with CCI mini mags at under 20 feet. Turkey didn't like it, but it sure didn't "break 'em down." The bird/s were never recovered.

Best area would most assuredly be center head. Even as skinny as their necks are, I'd bet that only 1/2 that thickness is immediately lethal. A straight away shot through the spine should cut body function, but side to side, that's just as small a target as the head.

CO's got a min rifle/pistol caliber which works out to .22mag in a 6" bbl & I'd say that's pretty much on the money. I did take my first turkey with a 6"er at ~60 yards - dropped right there.

I would have thought that a solid upper body shot with a .22LR would do 'em right in, but "experience" certainly shows a much different picture.

& I"ve carried a .22LR pistol for CCW.
Old October 24, 2001, 08:58 AM   #4
Toshmo

scouter 27 and labgrade thaks for your replys! I now remember that the "back" shot was in reference to bow hunting turkeys.
I think that I will stick to my trusty shotgun this fall base on your inputs. The .22 I was thinking of using is not scoped. I am very competent with open sights but would not take a head shot with the .22 unless it was within 30 to 40 yards, and I know what my shotgun does at that range. I have been looking for more of a challange hunting turkeys and want to eventually bag one with a bow. I am looking into a muzzle loading shotgun for turkey and plan on buying one and patterning it. While I'm doing that I might as well prectice with the .22 with a good turkey target and practice head shots. Variety is the spice of life!
Old October 24, 2001, 11:15 AM   #5
Mad Max

Hey Toshmo
You may want to check the legality of taking turkeys with a rimfire. I think I remember reading in the Texas regulations book it was illegal, but I dont have one with me so I cant be sure. Maybe its different in your state, though.

"I don't mind it when stupid people say stupid things. Stupid people should be encouraged to say stupid things, that way we always know who the stupid people are." ~ Ted Nugent - Fox News, 2002.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
[Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930]
Old October 24, 2001, 11:36 AM   #6
Long Path

It's legal in TX, but don't do it.

I've seen turkeys rolled by several shots with a 10-.22, then get up, run, and fly away!

Not advised. Even going up to a .22 WMR would be better. Use a handgun caliber if you want to keep the shot power lower and don't want to use a shotgun.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:58 AM   #7
Toshmo

Mad Max and Long Path,
Up here in Maryland it is legal to hunt fall turkeys with a .22. The hunting regulations do not specify caliber and only refer to it as"rifle". In spring you can only use shotgun loaded with shot no larger tha #4 and no smaller than #6. It does not specify and shot or rifle caliber for fall. Looks like the concensus is to stay with the scattergun. I thank you Texans for your replys.
Old October 24, 2001, 02:56 PM   #8
Poodleshooter

I've shot one with a 22 magnum in the base of the neck. I had to finish it with a friends shotgun. The head is honestly too hard of a target to hit, as it bobs too much. For a body shot, I'd stick to a .223 or bigger for long range. For less than 50yds, a 12 gauge with 1-5/8+oz of shot would be a better combo.
Old October 24, 2001, 03:34 PM   #9
Steve in PA

I'd go with a .22mag. I've taken several fall turkeys here in PA with my.22mag....its a Marlin 882 with a 4x scope. All have been shot right where the neck meets the body......and all have been imobilized........only one required a finishing shot. I'd say the distances were from 60....to about 100 yards. I use Winchester HP's in my gun.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:47 AM   #10
biganimal

DARN!!!!
we can't use a rifle on turkeys here in NY.
thats too bad cuz I have a model 24 o/u in 222 over 12ga, this seems like the perfect turkey gun.....
Old October 25, 2001, 09:44 AM   #11
Long Path

No doubt! Sounds like a SUPERB turkle gun.

Wish I had one...

--L.P.
Old October 25, 2001, 10:07 AM   #12
dZ

i have personally witnessed turkeys getting up and flying away after my precision application of the double bit wood axe...

theres a whole lot o spine powered redundant back up in mr turkey

you really have to convince them of their mortality

12 gauge / 22 hornet drilling would be a nice field piece
Old October 25, 2001, 10:45 PM   #13
Rebeldon

That is illegal in Alabama.
Old October 27, 2001, 07:53 PM   #14
BobR

I have a savage O/U, 30-30/20g, I have always refered to it as a turkey gun.

The 20g does shoot the 3" shells.

the 30-30 is very accurate, the only down side to this gun is it is a single shot...both barrels.

bob
Old October 28, 2001, 11:11 AM   #15
biganimal

bobr
thats NOT the downside its the UPSIDE! it makes you a better marksman!!!!
Old October 28, 2001, 11:32 AM   #16
JosephBoeckner

if its such a downside send it to me lol-been wanting one forever lol