The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 2008, 11:45 PM   #26
HOGGHEAD

Farming

I do not know anything about farming in Wyoming. But I know a little bit about it here in WV. I would like to be able to get the monies you are talking about?? How do I get some?? I realize we are small time farmers. We only run 38 head of Black Angus. But I would like to find some fuel subsidies?? Who do I call?? Most small farmers here in WV do have a full time job, besides running their farm. Tom.
Old September 20, 2008, 12:05 AM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Check with your local state tax office. My boss who owns a couple of acres of rural property (and has a full time job) was told that he could get a property tax break for having something like 3 or 4 goats on his land.
Old September 20, 2008, 07:18 AM   #28
elkman06

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/crp/
The CRP program has been paying farmers in many states to not grow wheat and other food stocks for years..They plant grasses which control erosion and aid wildlife and sit back and collect a govt check for doing nothing from then on...Most of them in my hometown spend their days sitting down at the local truck stop b*^&^ing about the price of diesel they put in their new Super Duty. Seriously, one family I know of have not farmed for 30ish years and have been doing just fine. They do not see it as a govt handout tho. It's their right since they own land.
Most ranchers out west do not rely on their own property to raise their angus. They pay a few dollars per month for each cow/calf pair to graze them on public ground. This allows for the ranchers to have extremely larger herds as they only have to pay real feed costs for about half of the year. We taxpayers are effectively helping them to support their industry and personal businesses.
I have actively fought the USFS, the Wy G&F, and local ranching units who get together in back room politics. Where I hunt now has roadless public areas that are contiguous to private property(ranch) with special elk permits for just those areas. I am talking about a 6x8mi section of ground. I can only access the areas now if I either walk or purchase horses to access the area. The G&F supply the elk permits and the rancher guides on his and our property to the tune of thousands of dollars per elk.
The G&F set up a special elk area two yrs ago to address a bunch of elk eating a ranchers hay stack. Rather than work with the public though, they allow him to charge whatever he sees fit to do this. All they did is set up a method for him to make money to offset his losses. That may not seem bad on the surface but why are we managing a elk herd for him?
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

Last edited by elkman06; September 20, 2008 at 12:58 PM.