The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2011, 01:29 AM   #1
trg42wraglefragle

Glass Bedding

Hi all quick question.

Can you glass and pillar bed a synthetic stock?
I'm sure I read on other websites that you can only glass bed wood or laminated stocks?
I do know the process of glass pillar bedding and can't work out why you wouldnt be able to glass bed a synthetic stock.

Also, im going to build a new rifle stock for my 223, im going to shape a peice of poly urethane foam into shape and then fiberglass it.
Do you think I would need to add a stronger substance (eg aluminium) for the bedding? Or do you think I could get away with glass bedding and pillar bedding the action to the fiberglass?

Thanks
Old August 3, 2011, 02:58 AM   #2
M.O.A.

yes you can bed and glass a synthetic stock just takes more of it and makes the stock a lot heaver.

and some say it does a lot less for the synthetic
Old August 3, 2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Doyle

On a synthetic stock, you generally don't glass bed the pillars. You glass bed the action/recoil lug and use metal pillars for the screws.
Old August 3, 2011, 10:55 PM   #4
DMMikey

Regarding the foam stock: Fiberglass and foam generally don't handle impact well. I would think a metal insert of some kind would be necessary to handle the shock of recoil and spread it to a larger area.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Slopemeno

The Brown Precision pounder stocks didn't have any metal- just a polyurethane core with kevlar bagged over it. If you felt the need you could slice the stock in half horizontally and glue in a former to give you some strength through the wrist, magwell, to the recoil lug.

If you want some food for thought on how to build your stock go over to the Jartworld forum and look how Reed Sherman built the Jart fuselage. That flying style beats planes to death and his planes hold up great. They amount to 25 lb density blue foam with about 30 oz layup of S-glass over it. Simple and quick to build too.

Post some pics- it sounds like a fun project.