The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
mendozer

trim up leather belt

I found a sweet thick leather belt at a thrift store recently, 2" wide. It'll make a good gun belt BUT all my belt loops are 1.5" and while my holster technically fits it, it's very tight (Galco).

How can I properly trim this down? I cut a little slit to see and when cutting into the black leather, it exposes the brown inside on the "new" edge. Will I need to re-seal this to make it weatherproof or is it ok?
Old February 27, 2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Roughedge

Put the belt up against something stright and then put a stright edge on top of it and cut stright up and down. Get some black leather sealer and finish it off.
Old February 27, 2014, 10:15 PM   #3
mendozer

ok so i will need a sealer then.

Can that be found at a fabric store?
Old February 28, 2014, 12:38 AM   #4
SIGSHR

I would try a shoe repair/cobbler's shop for sealer and other leather care products.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

Don't know where you're from but my advice would be to look for a saddle shop. Take the belt there and let someone with a lot of experience cut the belt down and dress the new edge for you.

The cutting part can be tricky to keep perfectly even over the entire length of a belt. You could also find the right dressing there should you decide to do it yourself.

In a real pinch, you could also just find a dark liquid shoe polish to use as an edge dressing.
Old March 20, 2014, 03:46 PM   #6
CitizenT

You need a good firm straightedge, and very sharp razor blades. Take a one eight inch strip from each side. Dress the edges to a rounded profile with abrasive. Die the edges. Finish the edges with beeswax and buff with wool or terry cloth.
Old March 20, 2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

If it isn't made as a gun belt, it is going to sag on you sooner rather than later. Thrift belt so no issue, but I would think that leaving it at 2" might give you some better support especially if you carry a heavier gun.