The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 20, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

Colt Revolver

I've seen a good number of threads about revolvers, and I have always admired the name of "Colt". A very recent thread prompts me to ask about a Colt revolver. I don't have one. The only Colt's I've had were the 45ACP, AR-15, and M-4.
I do have a superb 22 rimfire in a S&W 617, along with other S&W revolvers in 357, & 44.
So I'd like to add maybe a Colt to the revolvers. If a guy had a budget for a single gun, among all the Colt's in the $300 to $600 range, what do you guys suggest as one Colt as a "must have" (if any)?
One idea is a single action "long Colt" since I kinda-sorta like cowboy loads. And I have a fondness for used or like new police revolvers.
Old October 20, 2012, 02:04 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

You won't find a Colt SAA in .45 Colt that's worth owning for $600.
You might want to revise your budget.
Denis
Old October 20, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
CajunBass

You should be able to find an Official Police 38 in that price range. Or less.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 20, 2012, 06:35 AM   #4
kcub

The OP is a good suggestion. I bought one NIB for 450.

Another would be the Lawman snub or a Trooper.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Winchester_73

Look for an officer's model match, or officer's model. There was also an officer's model special. You have a 617, but these were available in 22 or 38. These competed with the S&W target guns of the era.

Here is my OMM from 1958.

Another favorite I have is a pre 1970 trooper. These are not marked "MKIII" or "MKV" they were in 357, and before that, 38 and 22. Hard to find in 22. Here is my 1954 38 trooper. It has a better trigger than nearly any Colt I have shot or handled (dry fired).

Most any older Colt DA is regarded as a classic. For me I found them to be like pringles, once you pop, you just can't stop
Old October 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6
22-rimfire

At this point, I don't consider any Colt a "must have". If you want to pick up a Colt to own and and shoot, you can find used Colt double action revolvers in the price range you quoted quite easily. I would just make sure it functions and the timing is sound before you buy it. It's a bit of a pain to get them worked on by anyone competent other than the factory. I read that some parts are hard to find now at Colt as well. I think you deserve to own a Colt revolver.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:35 PM   #7
damienph

Colt Revolvers

Don't know which would be a "must have" but there are a few that are in the price range that you want to spend;

Below is my Colt Officers Model 22LR, I also have a Police Positive in 38 Special and had a 1901 Army in 38 Long Colt. the OM and the Army were both purchaed for under $300 within the last five years. The PP ws left to me by my Grandfather when he died in 1991, but they are commonly avalable in the $300-500 range.

Officers Model

Police Positive

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics; better pic of Officers Model with my Grandfather's holster that the Police Positive came in.
Old October 20, 2012, 05:00 PM   #8
SteelChickenShooter

Sorry if I am vague on "must have". I only say that because there were older threads about S&W revolvers that may have included such a term. I would have replied by saying something like this: " A S&W model 28, large frame revolver in 357 mag would be a must have for any guy that has a fondness for S&W revolvers". My Highway Patrolman satisfies that need for me.
So say I want to branch out and get something comparable in a Colt brand? I guess I've decided the 45 Long Colt round and single action goes out the window for now. So I guess I'll look for some sort of used police model. I'm just not that up on Colt model numbers or names. So I thank you guys that did post the names of revolvers for me to look for.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

Of the older Colt models that would be a "must have" and within your price range are:

The Police Positive Special.
Colt made a Police Positive with a short frame and cylinder in short cartridges like the .32 and .38 S&W. They made the same basic gun with a longer frame and cylinder as the Police Positive Special for longer cartridges like the .38 Special.
The Police Positive Special was an extremely popular Colt with police departments because it offered the powerful .38 Special in a smaller, lighter gun.

The Detective Special.
This was really nothing more than the Police Positive Special with a short barrel.
From 1927 to the 1960's the Detective Special was carried by just about every detective, off-duty, or undercover cop, and a lot of private citizens.
It's the classic snub-nose revolver and was famous for it's quality and accuracy.

The Official Police.
Originally called the Army Special, Colt changed the name to the Official Police in 1927. From then to 1969 when it was finally discontinued the Official Police as exactly that, THE official police revolver for a great many police departments and Federal agencies like the FBI.
All succeeding Colt medium frame revolvers up to 1969 were based on the Official Police frame, including the Colt Python.

The Trooper.
In 1953 Colt introduced a new holster revolver with adjustable sights as the Colt Trooper.
First offered in .38 Special and .22LR, in 1961 it was also offered in .357 Magnum.
This and the very similar 3-5-7 Model are often called "poor man's Pythons" because they use the same frame size and action as the premium Python.

The Officer's Model.
From the early 1900's to 1969 Colt offered a series of Target revolvers using the Official Police frame, only with adjustable sights.
Pre-war guns were the Officer's Model Target. Post-war they offered the Officer's Model Special and the Officer's Model Match.
These were Colt's premium guns until the Python and are renowned for their quality and accuracy.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:27 PM   #10
highpower3006

I bought this .45 Colt New Service for $400 at a gun show. Refinished, but over all very little use. I have seen other deals like also.

Old October 20, 2012, 08:22 PM   #11
savit260

Highpower3006 beat me to the punch.

There are New Service in 45 Colt out there in your price range. You might have to hunt around some though. In that price range you'd be looking at one that was either refinished or original with some honest wear and tear. Minty ones will run a bit over your price range, but ya never know... you could stumble into a real nice one for $600. There are also some out there that were origianly 455's sold to England, that have come back and been rechambered to 45 Colt. One of those could also fall in your price range.

LOVE these revolvers (don't own one, but have shot a few). One side note is that the reach to the trigger is fairly long, so if you have short fingers , they may not work so well for you.

As others have mentioned... The Officers Model is a super sweet revolver, and I'd consider them to be a "must have" in a Colt double action collection.

My OM .22 actually has a nicer trigger than my Python.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:08 PM   #12
22-rimfire

The Trooper in 357 mag would be an excellent introduction to older Colts and their quality. There is another ongoing thread about it. The OP of that thread was looking at one in 80-85% condition at an asking price of $429. The original Troopers are good ones!

I bought a real nice Detective Special (38spl) within your price range in the last year. That is one that many really like. It is the gun that I have picked up and handled for years, but always avoided the snubbies. But with the popularity of CCW, I finally got a real nice shooter.

The classic Colt "police revolver" is the Official Police in 38spl. Good revolvers and you can find them with finish wear easily in your price range. The perfect ones are hard to find for collectors. I have a couple of the 22 OP's.

The single actions are tougher. Nice single action Colt 22's (Peacemaker, New Frontier, Frontier Scout) will run you often in excess of $500 although there are some bargains around.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #13
salvadore

Old October 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Jay24bal

Colt Cobra .38

I have a an old Colt Cobra .38 with the nickel finish that belonged to my grandfather. The finish is a bit rough, but it is a great gun. I have seen several in LGS with price tags ranging from $250-$700 depending on the finish wear. Been thinking of selling it lately but I know that I will not able to replace it with a comparable revolver for under $500.

I really like mine...

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old October 22, 2012, 10:50 AM   #15
DFrame

See Dfariswheels definitave answer above. It contains a volume of great information about models available in your price range.