The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
bossman

Hollow base bullets

What's the purpose of hollow base bullets? Is it for a longer COL or is to shave weight ?

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 28, 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Don H

Hollow base wadcutters are generally swaged of soft lead alloy and loaded such that the cavity is toward the powder charge. The gas pressure obturates the lead skirt into the rifling at low target velocities and pressures to help insure accuracy. Sometimes people load the bullets in a reversed position so that it sort of acts as a hollow-point.
Old March 28, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, bossman. The original purpose of a holow based bullet was to allow easier muzzle-loading..that is, the bullet would slip down bore, and upon being fired, would expand to take the rifling. This was used to great effect in the Minie type rifles used in our war between the states. Later, when the percussion revolvers were being converted to ctg., the first bullets were "heel" type..like a .22 L.R., a two dia. affair, with a short reduced dia. portion being held inside case, while outside was same dia. as case. These were messy to handle & picked up grit. Around the 1890's these were "modernized" by reducing bullet dia. to fit inside case..like our modern-day ammunition. The problem was..the bore dia. was not changed..the new bullets would fall thru bore! To remedy this, a deep hollow was added to bullet base to allow expansion. The .38 long-Colt, & .41 long Colt are a couple of examples.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
serf 'rett

From Berry's MFG, Inc. website

Quote:
The "Hollow Base" in the base of the bullet allows us to make a longer profile without adding weight. For example if we were to hollow base a 230gr .45 ACP bullet, it now weighs 185gr.. The longer profile gives more "Bearing Surface" on the bullet, which helps a pistol barrel stabilize the bullet.
I had the same question before I about a month ago before I bought 1K of their 124 grain HBFP plated bullets to tinker with.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:44 AM   #5
bossman

Quote:
I had the same question before I about a month ago before I bought 1K of their 124 grain HBFP plated bullets to tinker with.
How do you like them. I might try something like that for a longer col in my C Z.

Old March 30, 2011, 06:46 AM   #6
gregjc9

Berrys is supposed to be coming out with a plated hollow base bullet (124gr for 9mm). From what I've read, the hollow base allows a longer bearing surface, which aids quite a bit in accuracy.

Greg
Old March 30, 2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Berry's MfG

We have a limited quantity until we get the next production run finished. I set up a sampler of 250ct #15143 9mm 124gr HBRN-TP $26.83 delivered, you will have to call the order in 800-269-7373 because I don't have enough to put them on the web yet.

Last edited by Berry's MfG; March 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:40 AM   #8
BDS-THR

I ordered some to do comparison range tests.

Look forward to trying them out.
Old March 30, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
serf 'rett

I must state that I have limited experience since I just started reloading, but can say I was pleased enough with the performance of the Berry’s 124 grain HBFP to order more.

I constructed a series of loads using Berry’s 115 grain RNDS and the 124 grain HBFP with Unique and Power Pistol powders. While both bullets shot well, the 124’s were better through my Springfield XDm with an average group size of 1.9” for both powders, while the 115 grain with Unique averaged 2.4” and Power Pistol was 2.8”. These averages were for series consisting of 5 or more rounds loaded at 5 steps with an increase of 0.2 grains per step. Overall averages indicate the 124 grain had tighter grouping.
Old March 30, 2011, 11:08 AM   #10
bossman

Serf 'rett: thanks for the info , I'm new to reloading the 9mm. I've been reloading larger more forgiving rounds. Looking to find a good 124 gr 9mm to reload.

Are you from the duck/rice capitol of the world Stuttgart AR?

Old March 30, 2011, 12:04 PM   #11
serf 'rett

Bossman. I do live in the self proclaimed rice/duck capitol of the world. You a neighbor?

Just ordered some of those 124 grain “experimental” bullets from Berry’s, gal taking the order was very helpful except when I asked her to assist me in explaining the order to the family banker (wife). Go figure.
Old March 30, 2011, 12:42 PM   #12
bossman

Quote:
Just ordered some of those 124 grain “experimental” bullets from Berry’s, gal taking the order was very helpful except when I asked her to assist me in explaining the order to the family banker (wife). Go figure.
Hard to get good help anymore,LOL. Let me know how those work out for you. I live in NLR close but not in Stuttgart.