The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 19, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
zee334

Views about AK47 with Red Dots

Does anyone have any ideas/views on this?
Old February 19, 2010, 08:20 PM   #2
SR420

I wouldn't want an AKM without a red dot. The UltiMAK gas tube/Aimpoint Micro optic is an awesome combo. No cheek riser required.

I love the combo, it's simple, compact, light weight and I can co-witness the irons with the combo installed on my T56SHTF.

Old February 19, 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
New_Pollution1086

Why not?

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old February 19, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
qwman68

I think they need all the help they can get, so yeah, do it..
Old February 19, 2010, 09:46 PM   #5
RT

I am saving my money for an Aimpoint micro and an Ultimak rail.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:07 PM   #6
DMK

Red dots are awesome on any rifle. However, just like any other optic, if you buy cheap bargain basement optics, it will lead to disappointment.

I put a Millet red dot on my AK about 5 years ago. It was loads of fun and worked great for two range sessions, then it spontaneously disassembled itself. That turned me off for a while.

Recently I got a PK-A sight from a guy on Ebay. Real Soviet era equipment, fits right on the AK siderail. It's very cool, nicely made and looks very Warsaw Pact retro. Looks great on my SAR1. The more modern PK-AS is supposed to be even better.These sights sit kind of high though. They won't work well with a folding stock unless it's the full stock AK-100 style.

Now I'm working on two Saigas. One has an Ultimak front rail and the other has a Texas Weapons Systems rear rail. Both are getting Aimpoint CompC3s since I want something durable that sits low.

With a good quality optic red dots are great. You keep both eyes open, focus on the target and the dot is just there.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:57 AM   #7
noyes

AK47 enhanced with night vision scope .... that makes more sence to me.
Old February 20, 2010, 03:07 AM   #8
benEzra

An optic remedies what is arguably one of the AK platform's greatest shortcoming, the very short sight radius and fairly basic sights. With an optic, the AK is both faster on target at range and is more precise.

I run a gen-2 Kobra on my SAR-1 and am quite pleased with the combination.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:23 PM   #9
amprecon

I second the notion of a red dot on an AK. Actually they are an enhancement to any rifle. I went the Ultimak/Aimpoint route on my SLR-95, however, I didn't spend the extra money for the micro. Mistake, I went with the cheaper CompC3, not that it's heavy, just bulky and takes up alot of room on an already limited amount of space on the Ultimak mount.
So, as soon as my tax return check comes in I'm immediately ordering the Micro H-1 for the SLR-95.
As a side note my secondary choice was the Trijicon RMR LED sight, but I haven't learned enough about their track history and battery life to dive right in as they are as expensive as the aimpoint micro's.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:45 PM   #10
niel4

DMK-

Just bought a Saiga .223. Would be interested in any pics you have of yours with sights. Mine is converted already with a folding stock and it came with a side mount scope attachment with scope rings. The PK-a(s) sites look real affordable. Can you compensate for drop after 100 yds with them?

Anyone know if this side attachment will work with red dot?

Last edited by niel4; February 20, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
AK103K

I'm also one of the Ultimak/Aimpoint users. I have yet to find a better set up, and so far, its the only set up that allows you to shoulder and shoot the rifle the same as one with the iron sights alone.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Lashlarue

Here's a truglo 2x 42mm mounted on my Saga223 Heres a Brunton reflex red dot on the same rifle.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Edward429451

Red dots are awesome on any rifle. You see how fast you can shoot inside 50 yds?! Yikes.

Cheap ones are ok on 22's but the quality ones are just a little ridiculous in price which is why all my rifles do not have red dots.
Old February 20, 2010, 02:06 PM   #14
Lashlarue

I also have a Hi=point 995 that came with red dot, almost two years and no problems. It is unmarked so I have no idea who made it, looks very similar to a BSA.It is my goto gun indoors as the ATI stock and flash hider cut the noise level to almost nothing.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:32 PM   #15
DMK

Quote:
DMK-

Just bought a Saiga .223. Would be interested in any pics you have of yours with sights. Mine is converted already with a folding stock and it came with a side mount scope attachment with scope rings. The PK-a(s) sites look real affordable. Can you compensate for drop after 100 yds with them?

Anyone know if this side attachment will work with red dot?
Sorry, I've been meaning to take a pic of the SAR1 with the PK-A but haven't yet. However, there's a pic of one on this page and some good info about it (it's the 4th one down and the more modern PK-AS is just above it):

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/bstakoptics.html

As far as your other question, it does not have any range adjustments. You give it a "Battle Zero" at some specific range (300m probably, but 200y is my preference, you can choose whatever you like). At any range past that, use Kentucky Windage (or perhaps Kentucky Elevation?).

Your other mount may work with a red dot. Though it probably has 1" rings and I don't know of any quality red dot with that tube diameter. Most have 30mm tubes.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:35 PM   #16
BGutzman

I know where you can get a lot of AK 47's never been fired and only dropped once....

Just not my kind of weapon, doesnt seem to work to well for the taliban, but I guess it works for some...

Enjoy
Old February 20, 2010, 09:43 PM   #17
DMK

Quote:
I know where you can get a lot of AK 47's never been fired and only dropped once....

Just not my kind of weapon, doesnt seem to work to well for the taliban, but I guess it works for some...
If I poked my head up and found I was going head to head with an Apache Heli and all I had was an AK, you can safely bet that plan A would go out the window and plan B would involve running for serious concealment like my tail was on fire too.

Besides, I've never seen any pics of Taliban or Fedayeen with a red dot on their AKs.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:19 PM   #18
DE Shooter

I put a Bushnell Trophy MP red dot on my x39 with the Belarus made QR mount. Cycling off and on holds zero thru hundreds of rounds...so far. BUT...it can get heavy. Check the weights of whatever mounts, rings, & optic you decide to go with.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:41 PM   #19
KChen986

Akin to DE shooter, I agree that Red Dots generally good for fighting guns, but the mount+optic combo I had for my AK was far too heavy. Threw off the weight and balance of the gun.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:08 PM   #20
AK103K

With whats available today, that isnt an issue. Even with one of the early Aimpoint Comp Mx's on an Ultimak, there is no noticeable difference in the way the gun handles. The Ultimak weighs less than the hand guard it replaces, and the Aimpoints weight is negligible.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:35 AM   #21
DMK

I've found that optics on carbines, especially those mounted out front "seem" heavier and bulky. But I think a lot of that is your mind playing tricks on you. When you have two rifles of the same model and compare them side by side, one with the optic and one without, often it doesn't really make that much difference.

Now there is a lot of heavy stuff that you can put on your rifles. Some mounts, rails, handguards, optics, stocks, etc are heavier than others. Pay attention to weight and other specs when buying, instead of just cost, and you will be much happier in the long run.