The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2000, 02:07 PM   #1
WETSU

I have an old Browning HP, Argentine. Slide to frame fit is smooth as glass, a beautiful gun really. However, the trigger pull is awful! Very gritty, stiff etc. This is only with the mag in. Without the mag it is smooth. I figure this has to do with the magazine disconnect safety.Any ideas on how to smooth this out. I understand this may be typical of Browning HPs.
Old January 14, 2000, 05:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, I do not recommend you remove the magazine safety or any safety device, especially if the gun is to be carried.

You can do a lot by polishing the front of the magazine where the mag safety rides. Then polish the safety itself. You don't even have to remove it, just put a strip of emery paper (400-600 grit) on the front of the mag, covering the spot the safety contacts, and work the trigger a few times. Or hold the paper against the safety with your finger and polish while working the trigger.

You will be surprised how this helps. If the grating is inside the trigger where the safety pin fits, you will have to disassemble the trigger and stone things a bit.

Jim
Old January 14, 2000, 10:00 PM   #3
BBBBill

Normally, i would agree..........but you shouldn't be able to drop the hammer by pulling the trigger without a mag inserted if the mag safety is still installed. Please clarify that. Otherwise, Jim's info is correct. The shaft of the mag safety can sometimes be rough as well as the hole in the trigger that it fits in. Polish well but don't remove any substantial metal. Also, the trigger lever, sear lever, & the recess in the slide for the sear lever can have burrs that contribute to the problem. After that, a trigger job by someone with the sear/hammer jigs & experience, if you want more improvement.
Old January 17, 2000, 10:21 AM   #4
WETSU

Thanks guys for the helpful hints. BBBBill, no, the hammer does not drop with the mag out, but the trigger does move fully. The mag safety where it contacts the mag is very smooth, so I will try polishing a mag. However, It still seems, upon careful listening and feel, that the grittyness is inside the trigger/safety. Not a priority, but maybe a smith could smooth it out. TRhanks again for the replies.