The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 25, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Dave (retired)

Which Bino review should I trust?

I looked up Pentax 9x42 DCF BR binos on the internet, and was impressed with several reviews, including one from Optics4Birding.com.

One of their comments said, in part, ..."tested sharpness and resolution...outperformed all other binos in its price class that we could put up against it".

Sounds impressive, doesn't it?

Then this from OutdoorLife.com, in part.

"...scored near the bottom on our resolution field...".

Bummer, huh.

Who to believe?

Anybody out there in the real world have any experience with these binos?
Old April 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Te Anau

Heres one more quickie review.Pricey they are...$$$

http://justinmartinoutdoors.com/blog...in-martin.html
And a quick video
http://video.sportsmansguide.com/v/2...ars-black-web/
Old April 25, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
603Country

My wife and I have a house full of binocs for critter and bird (and whatever) watching out here in the country. The house binocs are Nikon and they are very nice optically and aren't too terribly expensive. But for my hunting bag, I still have my old Leica 10x42's. When I'm hunting, I spend a lot of time using my binocs and I want a great pair. The Nikons, being newer, probably have fresher, if not better, optics but they just aren't as tough as those old rubber armored Leicas. If I lost the Leicas, I'd shop around amongst the high dollar German binocs. If you hunt a lot, why skimp on the binocs. That said, in my youth, when money was tight I used cheaper Japanese binocs. But when I got some disposable money I went shopping for: Excellent optics, 10X42, rubber armored, waterproof, and as small as reasonably possible. After much looking, Leica had all of that and were the smallest.
Old April 25, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
wogpotter

When I get absolutely contradictory reviews like that I go find a couple of other reviews from unrelated sources & pick the majority decision. One is wrong that's for sure they can't be good & rubbish it's not possible.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 26, 2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Major Dave (retired)

These binos

have been on the market about a year, now. Who has used/bought a pair, and what is your opinion of them?
Old April 29, 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Te Anau

I'd get these instead.

http://www.natchezshooterssupply.com...42%20Binocular
Old May 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Major Dave (retired)

Thanks to the 3 of you who replied...

I have decided to trust the "birders" review over the Outdoor Life review, because:

1. "Birders", by nature, must have glass of the highest possible resolution, in order to correctly identify the species they pursue. Many species are differentiated by quite small variations in plumage colors and/or patterns, again requiring maximum resolution and color definition.

2. The same Outdoor Life reviewers reported that the Pentax DCF model binos with 32mm objective lens were rated "Editors Choice" AND "Best Buy" in their 2010 optics tests. So why would changing the objective lens to 42mm degrade their performance?
Old May 2, 2012, 03:08 PM   #8
JerryM

Here is a bird forum with some great info re binoc.
http://www.birdforum.net/forum.php

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:46 PM   #9
ohiomossyoak

Heres one more quickie review.Pricey they are...$$$ http://justinmartinoutdoors.com/blog...in-martin.html And a quick video http://video.sportsmansguide.com/v/2...ars-black-web/

The 2nd link is Justin martin..His hunting show is or was sponsored by them.So I aint sure how much faith I would put in his review(no offense to justin)..If the OP gets a chance check out Vortex optics.There worth looking at(pun?)..They have great glass in every price range..And a warranty nobody(that i know of) can touch in the optics industry...Even if the damage or problem to the optics was caused by you..They have a full unlimited,no fault warranty for life..New or used no paper work,questions or or registration needed ,1st owner or the 20th etc
Old May 2, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Ambishot

You might also check out http://www.opticsplanet.net for deals. At the price listed for those pentax binoculars, you may find a better deal or more reviews.

Best of luck,

Ambishot
Old May 3, 2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

Price wise...

most dealers want about $350 for them, but I found one place selling them for only $270. Sounds good, to me.