The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
kx592

500 slug barrel bore

Noticed something funny while checking a few things through the safe today and came across this. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...6.jpg&newest=1 ... Only got 1 good photo of it, strange. It looks like I rubbed the finish off the interior of the bore however it looks worse near the cooling vents that mossberg puts on its 835/500 barrels. Barrel only has maybe 50 slugs through it all sabots 12ga. Its decently accurate with Hornady 300gr. and I dont know enough to have an opinion on this. Any info guys?
Old January 9, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
oneounceload

Cooling vents? Not sure I understand what you are trying to ask, I guess
Old January 9, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Looks like plastic fouling. Solvent and a bore brush.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 9, 2011, 05:15 PM   #4
pabuckslayer08

I can see what you mean. Could be from moisture or something like that. I would just take some good penetrating oil and a heavy patch and see if it cleans up, if not try the wire brush and if its still present Im lost
Old January 9, 2011, 05:15 PM   #5
rantingredneck

OOL, I think he's confusing ports with "cooling vents". I'm assuming this is a ported Mossberg 500 slug barrel

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 9, 2011, 06:02 PM   #6
kx592

It looks like the finish is worn off, so if I scrub it with the brush wouldn't its all look like bare metal?

The ports im talking about are at the end of the mossberg barrels, I assume they have them to cool the barrel quicker?
Old January 9, 2011, 06:12 PM   #7
oneounceload

No, ports are done to help (thought to be no help by most involved) to help with muzzle lift and recoil - they don't.

Bluing is a fairly tough rust finish that can take most solvents designed for gun cleaning. IF what you have is plastic buildup, then using a good brush with a good solvent will take care of the issue
Old January 9, 2011, 07:12 PM   #8
zippy13

My friend, oneounceload, and I are of differing opinions about the efficacy of ported barrels. I can't tell much from the pic, but might we be talking about common lead fouling from using standard slugs instead of sabots?
Old January 9, 2011, 07:48 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

Let us know if a brush fixed it up, im curious as to what it is if a brush didnt take it off
Old January 9, 2011, 07:56 PM   #10
kx592

I thought I put in the OP that I used sabots. IF not, then here, its only seen sabots

Im going to give her a scrubbing tomorrow and see what results I get.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:11 PM   #11
pabuckslayer08

O I can understand that with sabots your probably getting plastic buildup like many others said
Old January 10, 2011, 11:25 AM   #12
Joey V.

LOL you got a job ahead of you!!!!!!!

Yesterday I just did a 2 hour long bore cleaning exercize because I was dumb and shot RIFLED SLUGS from my rifled barrel. Your barrel looked exactly like mine. Take the barrel off the gun and put a flashlight at one end and look down it you will cry LOL. Now if you never shot a rifled slug out of it then it will be simple to clean because it is 99% most likely plastic streak from the sabot.

FOR JUST PLASTIC REMOVAL
Get a 10 gage copper bore brush if you can find one or just a 12 gage if that is all you can get. I use a good bore solvent in my case remington bore bright and it eats away lead, copper, and plastic. It really doesn't "eat" anything but it will help better than nothing! Take a piece of old rag and wrap it around your cleaning rod to protect the muzzle of the barrel from the rod and shove it in a little bit into the muzzle. Then ram the crap out of the barrel for a VERY long time until it is bright, clean and perfect.

For leaded up barrel
Do the same thing but for the first 30 to 40 rams of the bore wrap a COPPER chore boy around the bristles of the brush first to get the heavy stuff.

I shoot 50 rounds of KO rifled slugs from my barrel and it took me 2 hours to get it almost clean out. I had to wrap my cleaning brush with steel wool starting with #2 and working down to 0000 wool. I do not sugest you do this as I undoutadle ate up some of the bore metal too. I don't consider that such a bad thing because I usally hand lap all my rifle bores (not with steel wool) anyway for better accuracy. Lapping with 0000 wool of a mossy stock barrel probably improved upon it because they are not known for having the best milling anyway.

Good luck to you and scrub a dub dub LOL!
Old January 10, 2011, 12:11 PM   #13
kx592

I think I realized what did it. I remember trying the Brenneke KO Slugs since the box said rifled or smooth bore barrels. Put 5 of those through the barrel along with several other brands and forgot about that. In the process of cleaning up now so ill post back if its cleared out.
Old January 10, 2011, 01:16 PM   #14
kx592

Well I gave her a good scrubbing and no luck, rest of the bore looks brand new though...Im not going to worry about it.
Old January 10, 2011, 03:02 PM   #15
zippy13

Plastic residue can be very tenacious. Shooters Choice solvent may help if you wanna try something different.
Old January 10, 2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Doyle

Try ordianary spray brake cleaner. It disolves plastic enough that you can't use it on many of the modern firearms with plastic grips and internal parts. However, it is fantastic on older (plastic free) firearms. Just be aware that it will strip off every last molecule of oil on the metal, so you need to give it a wipe with oil after you are done.