The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 24, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Oldriflenut

Just bought 300 Savage DL with handtag

Hello, I would greatly appreciate someone being able to assist me on the age of this wonderful new purchase. This gun- bought at an auction- is as new with its hand-tag still attached. Monte Carlo stock, gold plated trigger, jeweled bolt, and case hardened lever, top tang safety. This is all the research I have been able to pursue still need the year of manufacture though. Serial # is 1017672: confused: My late husband shot a beautiful Shiras moose years ago with one of these, iron sights and all! This is a purchase I will treasure- and probably not shoot, as its unfired since factory.
Thank you for your help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0215_6[1].jpg (105.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 0215_2[1].jpg (64.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 0215[1].jpg (36.5 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Oldriflenut; April 24, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old April 24, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Gunplummer

Oldriflenut

Use the "24 Hour Campfire Forum", there is a Savage Collectors group on there. They live to find that stuff out for people.
Old April 25, 2010, 11:28 AM   #3
PetahW

I would WAG it's DOM as mid-to-late 1960's.

The change from lever safety to top safety occurred in stages on various models between 1959-63, IIRC.

The stock, especially the forend tip, looks like no Savage I've ever seen - Do you know if it's a custom/replacement, like a Bishop or Fajen ?

Another reason I ask, is that AFAIK Savage put some kind of checkering on their (1) deluxe rifles (DL) and on (2) Monte Carlo stocked rifles.

FWIW, the .300 Savage is a classic cartridge for good reason - it's powerful, accurate, and easy to handle (recoil-wise).

Old April 25, 2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Oldriflenut

Thanking you for your help!

Thanks guys for your help. I will check out the campfire people. The forearm is simply the other kind that is (not the schnoeble (forgive spelling) kind- I think... The checkering is accurate for the DL, as I have a picture of it on the front of one of the old Savage magazines I found on a search online. I just don't know the year of manufacture and it is bugging me! I'll keep plugging along, can't wait till it arrives at the FFL!
Old April 25, 2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

The DL was introduced in 1960.

That style stock was made until 1965.

The hang tag lists the .358 Winchester, which was discontinued in 1965.

The .284 Winchester chambering was introduced in 1964, but that isn't listed on the hang tag.

So, given that, I'd say your gun was made between 1960 and 1963.

Looking at the serial number, the DLs started right around 1,000,000. Yours is 17,000 above that, so I'd say that it was made in 1960 or 1961.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.