The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
antimatter

Maxpedition Versipack?

I'm seriously looking into the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I carry a briefcase sized pack with me most everywhere I go, although it stays in the car. This would be to downsize a bit and have the EDC essentials with me-including one of my Glocks. I want to CCW in the back pocket of the Versipack; I'm toying with the idea of buying the Glock belt holster, cutting off the belt loop sides and putting velcro on it to attach it in the back. I have a 17, 19, and probably a 26 soon so the idea of being able to carry any of these appeals to me.

It seems like a well made pack, so I have no qualms about the quality. My question is weak side or strong side? It is made in left and right hand versions, correct? I am more comfortable carrying a briefcase/duffle/etc on my left (weak) side, but is the zipper designed to be opened with the strong hand prior to drawing? Or am I overthinking this?

And is the "Tickbite Tactical" bag an exact clone or did they take some shortcuts? I've seen the Versipack for about $60 online so saving $20 at the expense of some of the CCW specific details is not worth it. Or if I should get the lefty bag and can't.

Feedback is appreciated-THANKS!
Old May 21, 2009, 11:30 PM   #2
amprecon

I have this one and I love it, it's top notch.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...4&idproduct=49
Old May 22, 2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Don P

I have one and it's top notch. I am able to carry a Commander size 1911 in the rear zippered compartment. They are made in either right or left hand models so you answer is yes. Strong or weak side, your choice
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Leif

I have a Lunada Gearslinger that I use for dayhiking, and the quality is impressive. Just another vote for their gear.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Housezealot

those fatboy versapacks look like the perfect solution to carry on my bike, I am glad this thread came up so I learned about them. nothing worse than the idea of a pistol bouncing down the highway.
I bet my wife gives me some crap about carrying a purse!
Old May 23, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Adventurer 2

If you get a Maxpedition, get strongside. The last thing you need is a thug getting the drop on you and taking your bag along with your firearm. If you get the strongside, I suggest not getting the velcroe holster, and carrying a revolver in the firearm compartment - If you get a bad vibe somewhere, you can unzip, reach in, grip the revolver inside the bag and have the drop on anybody without anyone ever knowing. The revolver can function inside of the bag (I think a semi-auto will get you one shot from inside the bag, maybe more, but I think it could/would malfunction). Granted it is from the hip, but if you are weak side and somebody targets you, go ahead and write them a check unless you want to run the risk of a brandishing charge.
A holster draws faster than the bag.
For something comparable to the Maxpedition: http://www.ebags.com/mountainsmith/l....cfm?N=2008230
I prefer the Mountainsmith to Maxpedition. I like the older versions.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:41 PM   #7
amprecon

I'm right handed but bought the left hand version because it was for use when I rode my motorcycle. I wanted to keep my right hand on the throttle while accessing the firearm with the other hand if it ever became necessary.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Joat

I use a maxpedition jumbo versapack as my tactical (its black) "murse" (man purse).

It carries all of my day to day stuff: pens, notepad, checkbooks, leatherman, glock, ipod, etc. discretely and effectively.
I have carried it into places that are less than receptive of concealed carry without a second glance, while my brother was approached by an employee about his butt pack that told him he couldn't bring the butt pack in as he might have a gun in it. He opened the pack and showed then that there was no gun in it.
(fwiw, he was carrying, just not in the butt pack. They never looked past the pack, and never mentioned my bag at all)

I have the right hand version but switch it from side to side as necessary. On my bike it goes on the left and the belt loop gets attached to my belt. I can still access the gun in the pack easily and with the loop on my belt it doesn't fly up or move around.

Joat

Last edited by Joat; June 1, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old June 8, 2009, 12:04 PM   #9
dairycreek

I have had my jumbo versipack for somewhat over three years now. I began using it because I had to have a hip replaced and regular concealed carry on the hip was just nor workable in the usual fashion - hence the Jumbo.

First, quality of Maxpedition stuff is without doubt the highest I have experienced in a device of this sort. All their stuff is over engineered and over built so that it stands up to the hardest kinds of use with no problem at all.

I am a right handed shooter and so right hand, strong side was my choice and, for me, it was the right choice. Using my right hand to unzip and draw my gun resulted it the fastest way of drawing and presenting. As you know the CC compartment is opened with a zipper and, IMHO, it is not ever going to be a "fast draw" - but a little practice makes it useable.

The compartment is quite large and will hold even large handguns well. The velcro field is for a purpose so that the gun will stay in place and not move around. I strongly suggest that one take advantage of that feature so that the gun does not shift around - not a good thing.

I am a long time removed from hip replacement and do not need the Jumbo as I once did. But, it still is used a great deal as it is highly functional. I recommend it highly.

GOOD SHOOTING