The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Grunt96

40s&w Accuracy (Beretta 96a1)

Finally got around to shooting my new Beretta 96a1 today, and walked away extremely impressed with the pistol. Trigger was excellent with the D hammer spring, and accuracy was the best of any 40s&w I have fired yet. My previous experience with the 40s&w was previously exclusive to Glock. I have to admit that while Glocks are good guns, I never was able to get excellent accuracy from the 40s&w in the Glock 23 or 22.

That's not to say it was bad, it wasn't bad, but I was never really impressed. Generally I found the 9mm and 45 Glocks to be more accurate to the point where I questioned the inherent accuracy of the 40s&w cartridge. Well, today that misconception of mine has been cured after shooting the 96a1. This thing has to be the sweetest shooting, and most accurate 40s&w out there or come very close. 3 shot group from 5 yards with 180gr WWB FMJ made a single hole. 165gr WWB FMJ at 15 yards off hand group was 2.75".

Granted this was my first time firing this platform in a long time, and my first time in this caliber, so it is likely it can do better (especially with handloads), but wow, just wow. If you haven't ever shot one give the 96a1 a spin. What a sweet shooter! Nothing instills confidence like being able to hit exactly where you want. Looking forward to working up some handloads t for her this evening.

Old October 15, 2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Guv

Hey Grunt,

I have a 96Inox and it is absolutely one of my favorite handguns. My first choice as a sidearm when hog or deer hunting. Also my nightstand gun, nice variety of ammo choices too.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Grunt96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv View Post
Hey Grunt,

I have a 96Inox and it is absolutely one of my favorite handguns. My first choice as a sidearm when hog or deer hunting. Also my nightstand gun, nice variety of ammo choices too.
Really is an impressive sidearm that I think more should give a try. I like it more than the 92fs I had in the past, which was also a great shooter. Just feels like this caliber and platform were made for each other. This one is also my go to now.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:45 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Nice... The accuracy and consistency of my S&W 4046 puts a smile on my face.

Metal .40's feel SO right...
Old October 15, 2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Grunt96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWKahrFan View Post
Nice... The accuracy and consistency of my S&W 4046 puts a smile on my face.

Metal .40's feel SO right...
I completely agree. What a difference!
Old October 17, 2014, 08:46 AM   #6
Rogervzv

It would be fun to have a shootout with the Beretta 96A1 versus my CZ75B S&W.

Old October 17, 2014, 01:51 PM   #7
AustinTX

Very nice! The 96A1 is a sweet shooter.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Dragline45

The D spring really does make a huge difference. My buddy in the military couldn't believe how much better the trigger on my Beretta was than the M9's he shot. I have found my M9A1 is one of the most inherently accurate pistols I have ever shot.
Old October 17, 2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Grunt96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogervzv View Post
It would be fun to have a shootout with the Beretta 96A1 versus my CZ75B S&W.

Have heard the CZ75 is very accurate, and looking forward to getting my hands on one.
Old October 17, 2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Grunt96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45 View Post
The D spring really does make a huge difference. My buddy in the military couldn't believe how much better the trigger on my Beretta was than the M9's he shot. I have found my M9A1 is one of the most inherently accurate pistols I have ever shot.
I hated the Beretta when I served. Mainly because ours were well worn, and of course I never had the luxury of changing put the hammer spring. Many years after being out I got a 92fs and liked it, but never did install the hammer spring. huge difference, and I think they should come stock with the D spring.
Old October 17, 2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Dragline45

Quote:
I hated the Beretta when I served. Mainly because ours were well worn
It seems the M9 got a bad rap with alot of those who served in the military due to just that. When you have a gun that has passed through so many different hands that have suffered various levels of abuse and used so frequently they are bound to have problems. The same thing happened with the 1911's the military used to have, some used all the way from WWII well past Vietnam.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:25 PM   #12
LockedBreech

The 96A1 is an outstanding gun. I got one for my dad. He used to carry as 96G as a highway trooper, and he wasn't able to keep it when he retired. I thought he might like the upgraded version. It's great. Adjusted properly for the .40 (unlike the weaker-framed early 96Gs), the 92 platform is an awesome .40 platform. Heavy, stable, reliable, long barrel. All conducive to great accuracy.
Old October 18, 2014, 08:45 AM   #13
Pilot

The D spring, and Elite II hammer is an easy install, and makes the 92/96 series easier too shoot.