The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2001, 06:56 PM   #1
K80Geoff

..OK not really. But I was at the local indoor range last monday shooting in the weekly gallery league. Had a good night shooting. As I was perusing the display of long guns I spotted a SXS double with a tag that said "FOX" $200.00!

Now even a diehard O/U and 870 fan like me knows that Fox SXS guns, even beat up and rusted go for more than $200. Even sterlingworths go for big bucks these days.

I asked to see it and it liked me so much it followed me home

Puzzling gun, no serial number! The usual scroll on the side has the word FOX, not the usual Ansley H. Fox?

The Barrel flats, watertable and forend iron are stamped KE. There is an 8 stamped on the Water table and an S.

The gun is obviously set up for trap. High straight stock, very high raised rib.

The fences look like they have been altered or filed upon. There are small marks where some butcher of a 'smith tried to drive out the pins on the sideplates.

Barrels are deeply blued, but there exist some tooling marks on the top of the barrels barely visible unless you look closely.

Receiver still has nice case coloring, except for the dings and fences

The rib looks really unusual and I believe it may have been added on by a gunsmith.

Stock is nothing special but intact and with only minor scratches.

One thing on the barrel flats., the barrels were originally stamped CS or CE, then filed and stamped KE.

I bought it because it was cheap and it still works (both triggers worked with snap caps) It appears tight and definitely has been shot a lot. Probably will take it to Ed the gunsmith at Glen Cove Sport Shop for a checkout.

Having more fun trying to figure out this gun than I will have shooting it, if I ever do.

Geoff Ross
Old April 26, 2001, 11:36 PM   #2
Doc Hudson

You have a Fox shotgun, possibly a Model B. These are some good workmanlike scatterguns that were built to sell for modest prices.

The A.H. Fox Company went under in the Depression Era. Savage bought the company or at least rights to the name and built a line of less expensive shotguns for the mass market.

These are very good using shotguns. My Fox Model B is older than I am and is still bank vault tight. It is tightly choked and will deliver killing patterns at remarkable ranges. In fact, for quail shooting, it is much better to let the bird get a bit of distance so the pattern will open a bit.

While not high priced, even today, these guns are very good value for the money. I got mine for much less money a dozen years ago and would not swap it for a case of new 870's.

Doc Hudson
Old April 27, 2001, 05:35 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Savage applied the Fox name to a series of utility SxS shotguns. The models evolved into the 311 series, IIRC.

While not up to best gun standards, the series runs long on tough and reliable..

And, my bet is that Fox will be seen on a range sometime soon.

Do get it checked out, there's worms in many apples...
Old April 27, 2001, 03:24 PM   #4
K80Geoff

The "Expert" at the gun shop thinks it is a model B. However, there is no stamping on the gun to indicate that it is. The high rib and straight comb on the stock indicate it was built for trapshooting.

It does have a stamping or engraving on the bottom of the receiver , the scene has ducks rising from a marsh in an oval. The chokes I believe are mod and full, checked by using a dime (nomex union suit on)

If it is shootable it will do nicely for Sporting Clays and the eventual Pheasant hunt that I promise myself every year.

I know it is not a best gun, but all I want is a serviceable american made double.

Doc Hudson... have you tried using spreader loads in your tightly choked gun. I know several gents with old doubles with tight chokes who use them for hunting upland birds. They use spreader loads and are quite happy with them.

Looks like I have the old gun bug, hope it isn't too serious

Geoff Ross