The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 22, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Rafsob

BP reloads for a Trapdoor Original Carbine

I have some black powder cartridge reloads that I use in my Trapdoor rifle, but they seemed a little too stout for my carbine. I am using a 405 gr. RNFP bullet and 65 grs. of BP. I can remember reading that this was a little too heavy for the short carbines in the old days and the government down sized the powder charge. I can't remember what the charge was, can someone help me?

If I down size the charge, I will have to use some form of filler I suppose. I know some of my CAS parts use Cream of wheat, but a friend said there is something much better. If so where can I get some of this stuff?
Old December 22, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
rr2241tx

The carbine load was 55gr by volume: 45-55-405 or 50-55-450 depending on which original trapdoor carbine you have. But, guessing from the 405 bullet it seem likely yours is nominally a 45/70 Gov't.
Old December 23, 2011, 08:07 AM   #3
darkgael

filler

I use the 45-55-405 loading in my trapdoor carbine. I put a walter's wad atop the powder and then fill the rest of the case with PuffLon. This compresses nicely when the bullet is seated.
http://www.pufflon.com/
Pete
Old December 23, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Hawg

I used 70 grains of Pyrodex and a 405 grain bullet in my original 1884 carbine.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Jim Watson

As I am sure a lot of people did - well, with real powder - in the day.
I wonder how well distributed .45-55-405 carbine ammunition was.

But it is a logical approach for the recreational shooter.

I don't know what the Army used for a filler, I have variously read that it was a stack of card wads or a roll of cardboard. But you need something. I'd punch wads or use Cream of Wheat; Puff-lon is rather expensive for plinking.
Old December 23, 2011, 03:01 PM   #6
rr2241tx

I don' t think any filler was used in the carbine loads, just not compressed. I compress then use a dab of polyesther pillow filler, no wads in 50/70 Gov't carbine load. I only crimp if hunting, then minimum taper crimp to keep them from swallowing the bullet. Otherwise, finger seat in fired cases. If your lube is sticky enough the bullet won't go anywhere.