The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 29, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
BleedinPurple

Initial AR Cleaning

The AR is finally put together and i have not shot it yet...i have not given any attention to cleaning the initial packing grease that is said to be in the uppers when they are shipped...i did not notice any build up but i didnt take a magnifier to it....

where should i focus on to remove the stuff that is not wanted on there before i go shooting with it for the first time?

like i said i couldnt see any noticable build up but im new to ARs
Old November 29, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
DASHZNT

If it concerns you.. I would spray the whole thing down with gun scrubber.. preferrably before assembling, but you should be ok. Gun Scrubber is almost like brake cleaner just a little less harsh, you use that to remove the packing oil off of disc rotors for cars so I would do the same process. Then make sure you oil it very well and cycle the bolt several hundred times. I literally drench my bolt and work it in really good before firing, that allows the two to get know one another very well. With that being said, enjoy your new toy and keep em straight!!

DASHZNT
Old November 30, 2012, 07:31 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Clean the chamber paying close attention to the lugs and swab the barrel, go shoot.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; December 1, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Mrgunsngear

Clean & Lubricate an AR15
Quote:
like i said i couldnt see any noticable build up but im new to ARs
Agreed. The chamber is probably most likely to have grease in it. Not lubricating the BCG is probably more likely to cause an issue than not cleaning it though.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Metal god

What I do with all new gun is clean them like I would if I just got back from the range . For a new AR I would at least clean the chamber and barrel . Then just wipe out the upper receiver and wipe down the BCG as well . Then lube it all back up should be good to go .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 30, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
BleedinPurple

thanks for the responses guys...while i did lube the bolt and bcg i didnt really do any cleaning...just kind of had the bolt and all that stuff sitting in break free clp while i finished assembling...i will take a look at the chamber and give it a good cleaning before i go shoot it...and probably relube the whole thing...

i know that ar's like to be wet but im used to cleaning and lubing my handgun and i generally keep that pretty dry by comparison...

i just need to learn what points in the ar need the lube aside from the bolt and bcg...many more moving parts than my PPQ
Old November 30, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
scsov509

I wouldn't worry too much about grease in the upper since its not going to hurt your function at all and will get cleaned out eventually anyway. You will want to lube the bolt and carrier well, paying special attention to the lugs and also the rails on the carrier. I also don't shoot anything new until I've cleaned out the chamber and bore to make sure there is nothing in there that can cause damage once you start running cartridges into the chamber and bullets down the bore. You'll also want to lube your fire control group as well, nothing liberal there but definitely want to make sure they've got at least a little lube on them.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:54 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Old December 1, 2012, 10:34 AM   #9
hodaka

Wow, that's a lot of places to oil. I run mine pretty much dry on the theory that oil collects dust. I do put a couple of drops on the bolt cam but nothing else. Works every time. I probably fire a couple of thousand rounds a year. I can't remember the last problem with function that was not due to a problem with the ammo.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Mobuck

It should smoke like a forest fire for the first few shots. I get a kick out watching someone else shoot one of my freshly assembled AR's for the first time. I lube the heck out of them.
Clean the chamber/bore as you would any other rifle and leave those areas fairly dry. Everything else can be dripping if you like. I grease the bolt lugs, cam pin and track, a little on the sides of the bolt where it contacts the upper. Some CLP on the bolt and gas rings. Either CLP or RemLUbe on the trigger/hammer pins.
Before my AR's are fired, the bolts are hand worked until they will close and lock when released(open upper) with the upper at a 45* muzzle down angle.
I'm not in the desert or the artic(nor am I being shot at) so the amount and type of lube is not an issue.
My broken in, winter use AR's get a little CLP in the BCG and a drop of RemLube on the FCG pins.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:20 PM   #11
greentick

I've always been in the light coat on the bolt/cam pin camp as well.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:42 PM   #12
BleedinPurple

again, guys thanks for the responses...lots of good info...i took the thing apart and lubed most of those things that are shown in the diagram...

now i have heard both good and bad things about just using CLP on ar15's but i like the KISS method...am i really losing out by not using some of the more elaborate greases or oils or is CLP going to be good for everything short of a deep cleanse...
Old December 6, 2012, 11:47 PM   #13
scsov509

CLP works fine. An AR will run with just about any lube as long as it gets lubes well and in the right places.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:05 AM   #14
Metal god

A friend of mine is a Marine and he tells me CLP is all they use . If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me . I do not use it on my BCG though . I like to use thicker stuff on that . Slip 2000 EWL 30 , frog lube , axle grease the thicker moter oils . I use the thicker stuff cus the hotter the bolt gets the thinner your lube gets . CLP is battle proven by the military so its tuff to argue with it . You can try different stuff , I do all the time but you should keep some CLP with you when out shooting .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 7, 2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Marquezj16

I just shot qualification this week. All the M4s in class were taken out of the armory and shot without adding any lube to any parts. 200+ rounds, zero malfunctions. Clean them with CLP, remove all carbon, wipe them down until there is not a trace of lubricant and turn them in back into the armory for the next time.

Down range, all I use is CLP, Otis to be precise. Works fine for me.