The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 25, 2016, 02:26 PM   #26
briandg

What exactly makes this a troll thread?

A troll came onto a trading site, with no intention of buying, and slammed this down vecause he apparently wanted a guy to sell his military collection for half the quoted prices. He threw out that local dealers were selling these things all over the area in good condition for $100. I now know that he was probably lying, because a number of experienced buyers of those exact products is telling me it doesn't happen, and hasn't happened for years.
Old August 25, 2016, 06:05 PM   #27
Reloadron

The last time I saw the prices mentioned was around circa mid ninety's. Dealer cost on rifles like really nice Swede Model 96 or Enfields was about $39 to $49 and we were selling them for about $69 give or take. That was the early to mid 90s. The early Mosin Nagants were in there too. While I have seen some nice clean Sweedish Mausers and Mosin Nagants of late they sure as heck were not the prices of yesterday so unless someone has a working time machine I don't see the prices mentioned happening. There were also $250 M1 Garands and Carbines to be had. Those days are long gone.

Any gun on any given day is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, no more and no less. Collectors, serious collectors, know what a gun is worth and what it will be worth five or ten years from now. A collector will either pay the asking price or pass, it's that simple.

Ron
Old August 27, 2016, 02:57 PM   #28
Clark

I paid $90 for an Ishapore 308 in 1999 through shotgun news
I paid $50 for a 303 in 2000 at a gun show
I paid $50 for a 303 in 2002 at a gun show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 303 303 303 308 british enfield Ishapore 3-1-2016.jpg (146.2 KB, 14 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 28, 2016, 02:19 AM   #29
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark
I paid $90 for an Ishapore 308 in 1999 through shotgun news
I paid $50 for a 303 in 2002 at a gun show
The Ishapore rifles have always been under-appreciated, and the .303s sound about right for a hacksaw-bubba-job back then. Current prices I have seen for similar hacked up rifles is ~$150 or so.

Certainly nothing "Good" in that price range these days, unless the seller is really uninformed.

That is the thing about old rifles, they aren't making them any more, and there are not really any more stockpiles overseas to import. Prices are pretty unlikely to drop, even if you completely ignore the inflation rate. Even Mosin Nagants have pretty much doubled in the past 5 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Useless troll thread. Spend your energy and knowledge on more helpful threads.
How do you figure? Seems like a valid question to me.
Old August 28, 2016, 12:51 PM   #30
briandg

That's what the initial troll was hitting on. A sports cut Enfield that was actually in pretty good condition, and priced at $150. The troll grabbed that post and said that he could pick up good original and intact specimens for less than the price being asked for the altered one.

At the locals that I frequent, I can't even find a flip open single shot for $100.
Old August 28, 2016, 12:53 PM   #31
briandg

I have a mint 03. A3 stock. I can probably get nearly $100 just for the stock. It even has the factory stamps.