The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 6, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Jeff2131

J.C. Higgins

Hey, heres a tough one for you guys. My grandfather gave me his shotgun he bought from Sears when he was 16 YRS OLD! Its a J.C. Higgins 12 pump action. It has the compensator welded to the barrel and its threaded to take choke tubes. Anyhow, heres the question...the recoil pad is as old as the gun and needs to be replaced. I am going to get the blueing done and would like to find one thats made for it or fits nicely...not interested in a slip on or grind to fit. Anyone know where i can locate this recoil pad?
Old June 6, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2

Recoil Pad

Try Numrich. Their catalog has a store brand cross reference that will identify which company built your J C Higgins for Sears or I have the catalog. What is the model number and I will look it up for you.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I think the replacement pads will still have to be sanded on a disc sander, etc. Most likely, the shotgun is a High Standard, but Sears bought from several manufacturers.

A brown generic pad will probably be your best bet, as finding one with the Higgins logo, now, might be difficult.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:15 AM   #4
natman

There are prefit pads, but they are made for current and popular guns like Mossberg 500s or Remington 870s, not 60+ year old Sears / High Standards.

You could get a used one - if the pad is original - and you might even get the right part, but it won't be much newer than the one you have.

Grind to fit is pretty much the only practical option.