The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
UncleLoodis

.38 Special Squib Problem SOLVED

Hello.

I was having some issues with an occasional squib round in my .38 Special loads. After much discussion, someone (can't remember who) recommended using a 9mm sizing die, as he thought that the R-P cases were too thin (although 1st reload). He was totally correct. I've been reloading using my 9mm sizing die...perfect grip on the Berry's plated 158 grain round nose.

My brass was too thin. My sizing die would size the brass to the correct diameter on the OUTSIDE of the case. However, the INSIDE diameter was still too big...the bullet would just slide into the case too easily. When I used the 9mm die, the bullets were then gripped tightly by the case. No problems after that. I had even contacted Dillon and they sent me a new .38 Special sizing die (gratis--thanks Dillon!)...but no change.

I was getting frustrated, as I had tried just about everything, and I was still getting squib rounds.

I've shot at least several hundred of these new rounds...no problem at all...

SO, whoever suggested using a 9mm die, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Uncle Loodis
Old September 6, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
45_auto

Glad it fixed it for you, although I doubt that thin cases and bullet grip were the problem.

From your "38 Data Thread":

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleloodis
TWICE I had a VERY low charge...less than a grain. Of course, the beeper beeped (and I am looking down the cases anyway).
Old September 6, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
UncleLoodis

several reasons

Yes, I agree it most likely was low charge at one point. But even after checking each round with a scale, I was still getting a squib now and then. I was not aware that there REALLY needs to be a tight fit between the bullet and the case. I could easily hand-turn the bullets in some of the cases...of course, which I now know is NOT ok.

I do thank all those who were giving other advice too. It's always a pleasure at the forums here...everyone is so nice and helpful.

Thanks again to all.

U.L.