The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 28, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Para Bellum

Who owns a NAA Black Widow .22 Mag 4"? Do you like it?

Hi folks,

I am seriously thinking about getting an NAA Black Widow .22 Mag 4" for off-duty situations like going out with friends and dancing (even the G26 is heavy when dancing).

So, who owns such a gun and what do the owners think about it?

Black Widow Specifications:
•Caliber: .22 Magnum or .22 Long Rifle
•Capacity: 5
•Material: 17-4 pH stainless steel
•Barrel Length: 2"
•Overall Length: 5 7/8"
•Overall Height: 3 5/8"
•Width: 7/8"
•Weight: 8.8 oz. unloaded
•SRP w/Fixed Sights: $269.00
•SRP w/Adjustable Sights: $299.00
Old November 28, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
smince

I'll have to ask why you would even consider such a gun for off-duty (L.E.?) carry?
Old November 28, 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Para Bellum

I'm not exactly what you would have in mind hearin "law enforcement"... . Anyhow, that doesn't matter. I don't have to interefer in my off-hours, I just have to protect myself. I consider the .22 Mag with 5 shots enough for that purpose in very low risk environments. PLEASE, let's no discuss that. The NAA Black Widow .22 Mag 4" is the topic.

Last edited by Para Bellum; November 28, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old November 28, 2009, 05:02 PM   #4
willr

My BW is just great. willr
Old November 28, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Gelgoog

apparently it can work in SD but with the reliability issues I have heard, I would not trust it. unless your tucking one of those in your speedo while hitting the beach, I can't think of a scenario when a keltec P3AT would be too big.
Old November 28, 2009, 05:13 PM   #6
willr

By the way, here is the site for NAA minis.

http://www.naaminis.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

willr
Old November 28, 2009, 07:37 PM   #7
LightningJoe

You've got guns like the LCP to choose from. There's no reason for a mini revolver except the novelty.
Old November 28, 2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Lashlarue

I have two NAA minis, one with 1 5/8"barrel and this one with a four" barrel, called the Earl, which resembles an 1860 Army model, they also make another four" barreled mini, called the minimaster. The BW have 2" barrels and last year there was a limited production model with 3" barrel.
Old November 28, 2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Gelgoog

how do you even fire these darn things during a stressful event? the manual of arms seems so awkward that I would be afraid of shooting myself in the heat of the moment. I think something like this could get you in legal trouble if you actually had to use it for SD.

Size wise if a .32/.380/9mm mousegun is too big then you are probably better off carrying a rape whistle because that .22 NAA mini is just going to **** someone off.
Old November 28, 2009, 08:23 PM   #10
freedom475

I pasted this from a previous post I made about my experience with the NAA's.....

I trap fur in the winter as a large part of my yearly income.

I have two NAA. One is the little tiny 22 short..I believe it is the smallest one you can by.

The other is the Mini Master. It has the rubber grips and 4 inch barrel. It has a LR cylinder and a 22 Magnum cylinder. I had this same gun in a 17HMR but the boolits would tumble and accuracy was very poor.

The little short is very hard to shoot, I have killed a few trapped coyotes with it but it is hard to be effective with it even at 5 feet cause it is so hard to aim straight..

Now the long barreled mini-master is awsome. The magnum is flat deadly out to 50 yrds. No man I know could ever withstand a shot from it. But it is way too loud and I worry that it may be just a little too much power for the small platform and I noticed my gun getting loose after about 100 Mags so I use the LR most of the time.

I have shot a LOT of traped animals with it ranging from foxes, bobcats, coyotes, badgers and beavers. I also use it for shooting rabbits and squirrels for bait. Rabbits are easily taken out to 30 yrds and I have gotten a few at further ranges.

I don't want big holes in my hides so I shoot them all in the ear from the side or the eye. The little gun just trashes there skulls. The beaver and the badgers seem to have the hardest heads.

I have gone to using those specialty rounds with the 80 gr. boolit with the little short case of just 22 CB longs. Because the LR's fracture the skulls so bad it is difficult to skin the faces properly. Most of the LR's exit leaving a second hole...not wanted

So armed with all this real world testing on live critters I would say that the little 22 and esp. the Mag ,is totally deadly and plenty of power. I sure wouldn't want someone shooting at me with one A Toy??No way!!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old November 30, 2009, 11:38 AM   #11
kiov

i have the one with the adjustable sites and 2" barrel. i wish i'd got the fixed sites instead for the lower profile. for ccw make sure you get a holster. the hammer can get cocked in a pocket without noticing, and the trigger is exposed.

i think this is a poor choice for SD carry considering the tiny .380's and 9's out there.

its a fun gun tho. mine is solid, well built, and reliable.
Old November 30, 2009, 03:26 PM   #12
219er

Black Widow

I have the BW in 2" and fixed sights. I only shoot the mags right now, but only a few rounds a year, just to see if it of me shoots straight. I usually just keep it in a tackle box or in the truck. Not sure I would as a self defense weapon. They are fun to shoot. Jim
Old September 7, 2010, 06:08 PM   #13
darticus

mini master sights

I know you can adjust the hight of your shot but what about the front sight is it adjustable? Ron
Old September 7, 2010, 09:22 PM   #14
RLWII

My favorite "BUG" is my 2" Black Widow. In a Uncle Mike's pocket holster, it is a comfortable carry in front pocket from jeans to dress pants. Loaded with 22 mag shot shell, and extensive practice, I trust the capabilities of the piece. Get one, practice, practice, practice, get to know what it will and will not do and you will love it. I have had mine for about 10 years now and believe the little BW to be one of the most under-rated pocket guns out there.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:05 PM   #15
tulsamal

I have the 4" Mini Master with dual cylinders as well. It shoots great. I use it now in some of the field situations where I used to use a Ruger Bearcat.

For CCW, I only use it as a BUG. It is very light and slim. With a pocket holster from Simply Rugged you can carry it in the inside pocket of any kind of jacket. And the larger grips make it easy to fire. None of that "awkward manual of arms" with that little gun. You draw, cock, fire, cock, fire.... what's hard about that? Just like any other single action revolver.

Gregg
Old February 18, 2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Gunner54

NAA Multi-Master 4" barrel in .22 Magnun

Quote:
"Size wise if a .32/.380/9mm mousegun is too big then you are probably better off carrying a rape whistle because that .22 NAA mini is just going to **** someone off." - Gelgoog

When a bad guy gets hit in the brain with a VMax bullet at 1450 fps from 10-15ft, he'll be just as dead as from a .45ACP; he won't even know the difference. The 4" barrel in these guns allows the .22WMR to develop about the same ballistics as from a 22WMR rifle at 100 yards. That's enough to explode a squirrel so bad it's impossible to use the meat. Which means it can be counted on to do a job on the bad guy's brain.

The longer 4" barrel also vastly improves the accuracy of the NAA guns. The human brain is not a tough target at my max engagement range 10-15 ft from a gun that will do half dollar sized groups at 30 feet. With the custom ankle holster I'm making, I can be nicely dressed and still look unarmed even to someone looking closely. That leaves me the option to engage when I choose, or to not engage at all. I"ll be far more comfortable sitting down to dinner and drinks than someone that has a small frame auto stuffed down their pants or under their arse.

For sure, one of these trumps any three .45s you left at home or in your glove box
Old February 18, 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Obambulate

The Black Widow is a fantastic little gun for casual carry when you can't wear your larger gun. It does require more time invested to get up to an acceptable level of comfort and ability with the gun, but it's quite capable in the right hands.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:09 PM   #18
oldhunter

I own a Black Widow and it only comes in a 2" barrel. If carried in a decent pocket holster, one will not have to worry about the hammer becoming cocked by accident and the trigger will also be covered until removed from the holster. With either.22lr or .22 mag, my BW will group at 4" under rapid fire at 5 yards. This is not uncommon as these little guns are accurate when equiped with good grips and with much practice. With slow fire and using a laser, many people can put one right in the CNS if necessary. I can't as cataracts in both eyes limit my accuracy. Although usually carried as a BUG, on occassion, depending on circumstances, it may be the only weapon carried. This time of year, my carry gun of choice is a S&W model 696 in .44 special with 3" barrel. A bit heavy but comforting when forced into certain areas of larger cities.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Pezo

I carry one ( 1" mini mag version ) in an ankle holster as a backup. The size of the weapon why not? I have done back yard wood pallet and wet newspaper testing and although not scientific i assure you the .22 magnum would be lethal. More power then one may think. The .22 magnum is a big step up In power over the lr even with the short barrels. I particularly like the Speer gold dots for penetration and expasion. The biggest concern with rimfire ammo i found is less reliable ignition. I do get rounds sometimes requiring re strikes, some brands better then others so you have to experiment. These guns also can be finicky on what ammo they like accuracy wise. Also re loading them for carry requires a little extra caution than the norm so you dont blow off a finger. All in all they are good and fill a niche if you practice and understand the limitations.

Last edited by Pezo; February 18, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Redhawk5.5+P+

I have a 22LR that I carry in the belt buckle holder they sell.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
ohen cepel

They are a great little gun, within the limitations for which they were designed.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want the large grips which come on the Widow. They make it easier to shoot but harder to carry/hide. You can always change the grips if needed though.

The .22 mag is not a toy for those that talk about it as if it's a BB gun. Not the ideal gun to take to a gun fight, but a lot better than a whistle.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old February 19, 2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Obambulate

In the few documented instances that somebody had to defend themselves with a NAA mini...it was enough to end the threat. In one case in a Walmart parking lot, it was enough to end the life of the man who tried to rob the Black Widow owner and his son.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:29 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

If the "Earl" resembles anything, it resembles a Remington Pocket Model - which had spur trigger, flat web loading lever, top strap and octagon barrel. An 1860 Army was open top, round barrel and a much different loading lever.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 5, 2013, 09:40 PM   #24
deerslayer303

I am intrigued by these little guns. I like the longer barrel models. But I also like the models with the swing out cylinder. But they only come with the short barrel. Talk about the perfect summer carry weapon.