The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Deerhunter264

Best over and under shotgun out their for the money

I am looking in buying a over and under shotgun but i do not want to buy an overpriced one but in a a good price range like between $1,000 to $2,500. I want a good one that will last and has good ratings. I have been looking at the browning cynergy and like it anyother good oness out ther and would you suggest the cynergy.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:19 PM   #2
RNB65

Anything in the Browning Citori family. I've got a Browning 425 which I've put at least 25,000 rounds through on the sporting clays range and it locks up as tight as it did when it was new. Never had a single problem with it.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3
LHB1

Most owners are going to recommend whatever they have. True to form, I recommend Browning Citori O/U's. Owned a pair (12 and 20 ga) of field grade Citori O/U's for approx 15-20 years. Although they were in excellent condition both in appearance and function, I sold them to buy a pair of high grade Citori's in 1988: Grade III 12 ga and Grade VI 20 ga. These two guns still look, handle, and shoot like new. I am highly pleased with them.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4
LHB1

Deleted. Machine malfunction led to double posting.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5
oneounceload

I recommend you go to a shotgun club and rent/borrow as many different types as you can to find which models fit you the best. What fits me may or may not fit you. Typically, if a Beretta fits, the Browning won't - nothing bad, just different. In your price range, especially if you include used, would be Beretta 68x series, Brownings, and SKB.

Are you wanting this for primarily hunting or targets? Target guns tend to be heavier and a little more robustly built to handle the thousands and thousands of targets shot annually, while most hunting guns are a little lighter for ease of carrying all day long.

Weight becomes a factor when considering recoil - heavy gun plus light loads equals light recoil. You also need to consider what length barrels will work for you. Personally, I prefer 30 or 32 inch barrels on target guns. Barrel length is a major factor for swinging the gun - the longer they are the smoother the swing tends to be.

The only true way to test for fit, recoil and smooth swinging is to try them
Old September 12, 2009, 11:14 PM   #6
got_the_itch

I agree with oneounceload in asking what your intentions are for this weapon? Along with the reasons he listed, another huge factor is cost. Most field grade O/U are significantly cheaper versus a "competition grade" O/U.

Also, your price range is pretty broad there. So it gives you plenty of flexibility. I've been shooting trap and skeet for many years. And I've used auto's and pumps until this year. I went bargain shopper and bought a Stoeger Comp. for my first O/U. I know.... I know... O/U imperialist's its/their junk. My dad is one of you guys. hehe But I've always wanted an O/U so I went with it after reading what seems to be satisfied customers of them. I however don't expect to be shooting it in 5 years either. But thus far a couple thousand rounds later, everything works fine. Or has gotten better with the so called break in time stiffness wise.

However, as I said you have a pretty good allowance goin on there. And I would not recommend a Stoeger to you. Although, I do swear by the gun and its cost. My next O/U will be a Browning Citori, the model will depend upon what type of deal I'm able to find. I'm also going to go the "used" route. But since I'm more into the sporting aspect of firearms, it will most certainly be a "competition grade".

The average price range for a good condition Citori around me has been the $1200 range. So thats where I stand, just from a personal perspective.

The Beretta's are nice, and have nothing bad to say about them. My dad and uncle are both just partial to the Brownings, which has steered me in that direction just from shooting several rounds with their's.

The SKB's both my dad and uncle (again) both have owned them, and had firing pin issues with each one of them. They both feel they are good O/U, but claim they won't own one again after that. This was a few years ago, and most often than not, the manufacturer will let the consumer work out the glitches and correct it from there on post issues.

I wish you deaf ears upon the dreaded "lost" we hate with a passion!
Old September 13, 2009, 09:15 AM   #7
PetahW

Look at the new Stevens 512 series - VERY decent guns, retailing around $650, buy buyable for about $100 less.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_shotgun.htm

Old September 13, 2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Deerhunter264

well i usually shoot trap every couple of weekneds, but i will probably do alot of hunting with it also. i will usually hunt peasants, and ducks so those would be the 2 things ill hunt with it. I also know that i have to find out the gun will fit me, but im just looking for some good guns so i know what to pick up while at the store or gun club.
Old September 13, 2009, 12:52 PM   #9
LHB1

Quote: "i will usually hunt peasants..."

Better not; they will put you in prison for that. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

If the stock doesn't fit, you can do something about that. Add a recoil pad and lengthen/shorten stock as needed. Plus you can remove some wood from comb (as I did on both my Citori's) or add a leather pad to raise comb if necessary. Of course, I then had to completely refinish the stocks after lowering the combs. But now both my shotguns fit me perfectly. Good luck with whichever O/U you choose.
Old September 13, 2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Couzin

Ditto on the Browning Citori. I think the jury may be still out on the lockup system of the Cynergy (I am sure there is a Cynergy owner that will come forth to dispute this...). Thousands of rounds out of each of my Browning Citori's and still solid.
Old September 13, 2009, 04:59 PM   #11
RJM

On my short list is a Browning Citori Lightning in 3" 20 guage 28" tubes. For ducks, this one is about perfect for me, fits me like a glove.
Old September 13, 2009, 09:41 PM   #12
SmokeyVol

Ditto on the Browning Citori. I have a Citori GTS Grade I.
Old September 13, 2009, 09:59 PM   #13
rjrivero

Ruger Red Label

I still have a 20ga Ruger Red label I got when I was in college. That was some 15 years ago.
Old September 14, 2009, 01:49 AM   #14
impalacustom

Browning Superposed if you can find one in good shape as they no longer make them.

If your in the market for a new only gun, I would go with the Citori.
Old September 14, 2009, 11:41 AM   #15
BigJimP

To me the most versatile shotgun - is the one with the most adjustability to make it fit properly. What I've seen is a parallel comb - with an adjustable comb - is the key / so you can move the point of impact up and down or left and right for cast on the comb.

Beretta has very few parallel comb guns.

Browning has a few - and the most versatile is the Citori XS Skeet, or the Citori XS Special - with the adj comb. I like a gun hunting birds or for sporting clays around 8 1/2 lbs and in an O/U with 30" barrels.

Browning Cynergy lineup - has the sporting - but the comb does not move left or right only up and down / but nothing wrong with it.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=066

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=128

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=296

The street price in my area is usually about $ 300 under mfg's list price / and you might find some of the XS Skeet models used. Of the 3 guns - the XS Skeet model is by far the most popular / the one I see the most on sporting clays ranges, etc.
Old September 15, 2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Deerhunter264

sorry for the grammer and spellling mistakes went i wrote the one comment i was rushing because i had to go somewhere. I have noticed that most people have said the browning citori is this becaasue it is an older gun and because the cynergy just came out?
Old September 15, 2009, 09:56 PM   #17
RNB65

Quote:
Browning Superposed if you can find one in good shape as they no longer make them.
Why makes you think that Browning no longer makes the Superposed? Sure they do.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...stom/index.asp
Old September 15, 2009, 11:14 PM   #18
impalacustom

RNB, they don't make them in his price range, not sure if you have ever purchased anything from their custom shop but let me say that you will never get a custom shop Browning for $2500, let alone a Superposed.

It's kind of like saying that Winchester still makes lever guns, well they do if your want a custom one.

Deerhunter, the Citori is just a beautiful gun that you can have many variations on and for the money it's in my opinion the best O/U.
Old June 1, 2012, 11:47 PM   #19
AndyKUSAF

best over under

I am very fortunate to own a few citoris, one 686 betetta and a K-80 as im a gun collector and avid heavy skeet shooter. I attest the Browning line is outstanding when i shot skeet for the USAF i shot to the point that the gun opened up after firing the first shot, Browning told me it had over 200,000 rounds through it. The beretta is lighter and very solid and prefer to use it for hunting. The K-80 is a work of art and is in a class by itself a very heavy gun with its sole purpose to break targets and that it does well. SKBs have leaf springs and in heavy use have a reputation of breaking but easy to fix, Rugers are cruly made as they are casted but good guns for just about anything. Stick with any brand above and you wont go wrong the main thing is fit with a shotgun as one that dont fit can cost $10,000 and you will do better with a $1500 shotgun.
Old June 2, 2012, 12:08 AM   #20
zippy13

If you're going to spent up to $2500 on an O/U, perhaps you can give us an idea of its intended use.
Old June 2, 2012, 01:37 AM   #21
TheKlawMan

Zippy, The OP said:

Quote:
well i usually shoot trap every couple of weekneds, but i will probably do alot of hunting with it also. i will usually hunt peasants (meaning pheasants not peasants), and ducks so those would be the 2 things ill hunt with it.
Old June 2, 2012, 01:58 AM   #22
zippy13

Oops... Thanks for the heads-up, TKM, I overlooked the OP's second posting.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:01 AM   #23
oneounceload

Holy necrothread, Batman!..........

Quote:
i shot to the point that the gun opened up after firing the first shot, Browning told me it had over 200,000 rounds through it
My Browning did that at about 90,000 - new springs brought it right back to new condition
Old June 2, 2012, 11:25 AM   #24
Grant D

Ditto on the Browning Citori's.
Old June 2, 2012, 01:19 PM   #25
zippy13

Quote:
the gun opened up after firing the first shot
Typically, the lock block is retracted by the action of the thumb lever by means of a cam. The lock block is returned forward by a spring when the action is closed. If the spring weakens to the point where it fails to function during recoil, the action can unlock. It can happen with the best of guns, and spring replacements are common. A softer acting thumb lever may be a warning.