The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1
ffs1942

Best slugs for Mossberg 500 rifle barrel?

Been testing loads for the rifled barrel on my 12g Mossy 500.

So far, I'm a bit disappointed. My best group is 6" with Winchester sabots. The worst are Hornady SST's and Brenneke, which are almost as bad as punkin balls, about a foot. This is off a bench rest at 100 yds with irons.

Ironically, these groups compare with my unscoped Win 94 shooting Remington SP's at 5". This is better than my bird barrel, which shot grps like that at 50 yds, but I w as expecting better.

Any recommendations?

Brian
Old January 25, 2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Noreaster

I have the same setup and I ended up with Winchester 1oz sabots. I didn't have the money to test out several loads. Going from a smooth bore 870 to a rifled 500 I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of the rifled barrel. I will be trying buckhammer this year but won't be hitting the range with it until this summer.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
jmortimer

You should try reloading your own, and save a bundle. You don't even need a reloader to do it, just roll crimp. This might work, if you can find them
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398...-free-box-of-5
Old January 25, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
kahrguy

Maybe the problem is open sights and absorbing a few rounds while try'n to keep a solid sight picture. Not fun with a 12ga from the bench.

I have a couple buddy and we all found one slug to use in all our different slug guns. Remington buckhammer. It ain't a long range slug but is accurate in all unlike sabaots. None of use can shoot the same sabot and I found In my mossberg 500 that the first redition of the sst was crappy but the the updated one from last years was good for 2 to 3" at 100 yards and that is good enough for a 200 yard shot . The difference is all of use shoot scoped slug guns. All of use keep a box of buck hammers in our packs. If we set up for a short shoot the hammers go in. I only use the sabots for field shots.

Slug guns to me are like a darn .22lr in that no two may shoot the same slug well and a third my print a clover leave group.

hang in there
Old January 25, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Shotgun693

Quote:
Ironically, these groups compare with my unscoped Win 94 shooting Remington SP's at 5".
That's terrible for a '94 with a decent bore. I'd expect about 3" at least.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
RonR6

I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and it shoots very tight groups at a 100 yards with any of the Winchester Supreme Sabot Slugs. Hunting season I fire a few shots to dirty the barrel and leave it that way the whole season unless it gets rained or snowed on. I have shot many deer at 75 to 120 yards and they just drop in there tracks. These are by far the best slugs I have ever used, I also use them in my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. I have tried them ALL, I get to wonder how much more punishment my shotgun can take from all the slugs fired through it. My Mossberg also likes regular 1 3/8 ounce rifled slugs, they shoot great, hit hard and are very accurate, but they do make a lead fouling mess of the barrel, but this is my hunting shotgun and I like the slugs to go where I aim. I worry about cleaning after the season.