The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
p loader

Brian Enos scale

I ordered this 2 days ago, already got it. My Lee Turret Press kit came with a bar scale but I wanted a digital one instead. This scale seems to be very nice, I'm glad i purchased it.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html
Old October 7, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I have one as well. It works well as long as the room is not too cold. Once the room is up to temp it is back to normal. The life time warrenty is pretty good to have as well.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Shootest

The scale and all other electric devices are NOT covered under the lifetime warranty.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:46 AM   #4
p loader

It does have a 20 year warranty, so if it craps out after that I'm pretty sure I will have gotten my $80 worth.

Thanks for the clarification though.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Gdawgs

I've been eyeing that one as well. Dave, how cold is too cold?? My reloading setup is out in the garage. I typically don't reload if it's -40, but will do some in subfreezing temps.

If you want the lifetime guarentee, you have to step up to the "High Performance" model.
http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html
Old October 7, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

I load in a room in the garage. It does have air and heat but it isn't on all the time. I had problems that started to clear up after the scale was used for a minute. By the time it cleared up the room temp was over 40 degrees. I don't know if the batteries were allowing things to warm up enough to get stable or it needed the room temp to get over 40. Both things were happening at the same time so it is hard to tell. The problem was the weight of the pan was changing plus and minus .1 grains. My days of trying to work in sub zero temps are long past.

I keep the temp in the room during the summer at around 85 until I go in to reload. Then I drop the temp to some where between 75 and 80. The A/c is just a window unit and its main function is to keep humidity to a reasonable level. In the winter I only heat while I'm out reloading. It does drop below freezing here in the winter, but not for very long. Heat is the big problem.

Normally this scale will give the same results consistently If I turn it on and wait about 30 seconds before I zero for the powder pan. I have tried putting some powder in the pan to check the weight then pour it back into the case and once again back to the pan. The weight was the same over and over. the same thing for weighing a dollar bill. It gave repeatable reading over and over.

The first scale I had had a problem with the display. I contacted Brian and I got a new one pretty fast. The only problem I expect with the second one is going to probably be it needs new batteries. It has been a year and the original batteries are still working.

To me at this point in my life, 20 years may as well be a life time. I will be surprised if I can still reload and shoot that far down the road.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
judgecrater

I am sorry but where in China is this made?
Could not help myself. I would look into a Dillon or one made in the U.S. if you can find one.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8
tkglazie

this little scale has served me very well. reads to .02grains. You do need a larger pan with it such as the one that comes with a beam scale. the price is so low I bought a second one as a backup. works well as a check for a beam scale or as a check for a volume measure. I do not weigh each charge unless I am loading rifle (primarily load handgun) so I cant speak for how well it would hold up to high volume use but it is excellent for my purposes.

http://http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Gemini-20-Portable-Milligram/dp/B0012TDNAM
Old October 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Arsenal

You can buy this scale for around $30 from other sites.