The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Hog Buster

How Cajuns fight swine flu

We kill dem and eat dem befo dey can breed, chere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swine.jpg (206.1 KB, 492 views)
Old October 28, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2
fast-eddie

Good Haul, I use chicken soup and over the counter medicine.
We don't have the swine problem here in Oregon, but I'd love to fill my truck be like that.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Buzzcook

So how would Paul Prudhomme or Justin Wilson cook those piggies?

Nice haul there.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Hog Buster

Paul Prudhomme would cook them till they were black. Down here we call that burned. Justin Wilson ain't a real cajun, so who knows. Out of this bunch 2 are being made into sausage and 5 were given to the Mexican farm hands to make mucho carnitas.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Buzzcook

Justin Wilson wasn't a real Cajun? Geez that's a shock.

Don't tell me Clifton Chenier wasn't a real king of zydeco.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:36 PM   #6
FrontSight

NICE!!!!
Old October 29, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
DRice.72

What else do you do with them? Do you ever keep any hams or any other cuts?
Old October 29, 2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Hog Buster

These are wild hogs, not feral. They have long legs, narrow butts and big plow shaped heads. They aren't as meaty or fat as domestic hogs so hams or pork chops from them leave a lot to be desired. They're built for speed, mostly to run from us, or in some cases after us. Even when made into sausage extra fat has to be added, just like when making deer sausage. Sometimes we barbecue a half or a whole one over a pecan wood fire, sometimes we cook it in a Cajun Microwave.

So what's a Cajun Microwave? It's a cypress box about 2 feet by 4 feet with a metal pan for the top on which you built a wood fire. It works kinda like the broiler in an oven. Fire on top heats the interior and the pig cooks. Cooking takes a while so that gives us plenty of time to drink and tell lies, except on Sundays, when we tell lies and then drink.

These hogs have been here since the 1500s. Spanish explorers brought them as a source of food. needless to say they have thrived. They are quite destructive to our sugar cane crops and seem to be getting worse, so we're doing our part to eliminate them.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Christchild

I'm from South Louisiana, myself. Hogs are extremely abundant. I only wish our governing parties would open Hog Season down here the same way it is in Michigan!!!

All year, all usual hunting hours, Resident or NON-Resident, Hunting License or NOT, and hunt them with anything, regardless of season. WOW. I'd eat wild hog year round.

Very Nice, Hog Buster... Just make sure You season 'em good.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:45 PM   #10
Swampghost

Hog Buster, my first wife was a coona** from St.Joseph's Parrish if I remember correctly. Our next door neighbor (Dave) was another from somewhere west of NO.

Dave used to get everything, mudbugs and an amazing Anduille from a place that I remember as "Joe's" something. Dave went to prison and we seperated ways. Any ideas? The Anduille was part venison and part hog, not cheap but worth every dollar.

The mudbugs came in 45# bags if that helps.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Lawyer Daggit

A lot like the wild pig hunted in Australia. Technically they are feral, although over the generations they have regressed- becoming leaner, faster and meaner- but not quite as mean as their european wild boar ancestors.

In the 18th century the Royal Navy used to release pockets of them to give marooned sailors something to eat.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:15 AM   #12
Hog Buster

Christchild

All you need here in Louisiana is a hunting license and you can hunt hogs year round, but only during legal daylight shooting hours. Coyotes too, but they make terrible sausage. We got 36 hogs last fall and have 17 so far this year.

Swampghost

That could be Joe's Dreyfous Store in Maringouin, but there's a lot of Joe's west of New Orleans.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:35 AM   #13
Hog Buster

Here's a couple of pictures that show the hogs a bit better.

One with a neighbor who took it with a 7mm Mag. last year and one I took with a 9mm pistol last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anthony-Hog1.jpg (184.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 9mmHog.jpg (136.3 KB, 295 views)
Old October 30, 2009, 12:38 AM   #14
Christchild

I've spent my entire life here, and always abiding by law, but I didn't know that. I'll make some phone calls, but let me ask You, What's the Gun Restrictions, in regards to other species Open Seasons?

This, Hog Buster, could put a whole new perspective on things...

(Hog Cookin' Grin)......Thank You, Bro....This year has been the worst I've ever known (economy...been a crewboat captain for 7 1/2 years in the oilfield....out of work since January), but Thank You...I may get to hunt/harvest a few times before I'm out of time....
Old October 30, 2009, 01:04 AM   #15
Hog Buster

Christchild

The way the law reads is:

Holders of a legal hunting license may take coyotes, feral hogs where legal and armadillos year round during legal daylight shooting hours.

It doesn't say that you can only shoot them, so you can spear, trap, choke, beat to death with a brick, or however you want kill them. As to the part "where legal" I suspect you might have a problem hunting them on Canal street or Airline highway, but I would think any rural area where general hunting is allowed would be just fine.

If you ever work the Mississippi and pass Red Store landing give me 2 whistles, I live just across the levee.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:25 AM   #16
Christchild

Thank You for the info and insight!

I've worked the river, mostly in and out of Venice, with a few exceptions, but I'm not familiar with Red Store Landing.

Where is that? And would that be 2 whistles, Northbound or Southbound?

But to stay on topic, Thank You again, for the info. Me and my .270 may have to take a ride........
Old October 30, 2009, 01:36 AM   #17
Hog Buster

Yeah, I kinda figured that you worked out of Venice or Fourchon. Red Store landing is northwest of Baton Rouge near New Roads. That's two whistles north bound.

Shoot 'em in the head, that way you don't spoil any meat. Your .270 will knock them on their ass. I've killed a bunch with mine. Good Hunting and let me know how you do.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:50 AM   #18
Christchild

Will do.

I've got some Handloads that are nothing short of 1st Class....Perfect for tough Hogs.

If it's at all possible, I'll post my results here, and continue the Cajun's Battle Against the Dreaded Swine Flu...

2 Whistles, Northbound......Comin' around Your Port Side...With a Slow Bell...

Good Huntin', Stay Safe, and Great Cookin'!
Old October 30, 2009, 07:20 AM   #19
GeauxTide

Hogbuster

I'm also a native Cajun. Spent several years hunting with The Racourcci(sp?) Island Hunting Club with my old departed BIL, Phillip Landry from Lettsworth. Lots of good duck hunting and bass fishing in Mud Lake. Still have some friends in Pointe Coupee Parish and my youngest lives in BTR.
Old December 24, 2009, 10:12 AM   #20
Bud Helms

Old Thread Alert!

Hog Buster,

Quote:
These are wild hogs, not feral.
Do you mean wild, as in not released (or escaped) or descended from domestics?

How do you distinguish between "wild" and "feral"?

Just curious.
Old December 24, 2009, 10:24 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
How do you distinguish between "wild" and "feral"?
To me the terms wild and feral are one in the same. Any hog living in the wild is wild... The only "wild swine" that is not feral would be a european/asian bloodline that never was handled in a domesticated manner.

Feral, by definition, is a domesticated breed/specie that has partially or fully returned to a wild state. Feral is not limited to first generation escapees.

There are actually very few true "Wild" hogs in the USA... Most all can be genetically proven to be all, predominately or partially from a domestic breed so feral and wild are fine by me...

Brent
Old December 24, 2009, 11:19 AM   #22
Bud Helms

Yes, I have never known much difference between "feral" and "wild" except that "feral" sometimes means native, indigent, as in descended from native stock. Wild is just that ... gone wild, descended from domestic stock usually. 'Just differences I hear used in conversation.

I've never heard anyone clearly distinguish between "feral" and "wild".

Merriam-Webster Online - feral:

1 : of, relating to, or suggestive of a wild beast <feral teeth> <feral instincts>
2 a : not domesticated or cultivated : wild b : having escaped from domestication and become wild <feral cats>

This definition makes no distinction at all between the two.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:30 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I've never heard anyone clearly distinguish between "feral" and "wild".
wild (wld)
adj. wild·er, wild·est
1. Occurring, growing, or living in a natural state; not domesticated, cultivated, or tamed: wild geese; edible wild plants.

Above with the not domesticated being key is the closest I could come to truly separating the 2 terms. And I agree that it is far too grey/gray to ever have it clearly defined.

As a trapper for Florida I learned to utilize the "feral" term as it is the definition of loose swine... The laws that make it legal to hunt them year around on private land uses the wording "feral domestic livestock is the property of the land owner who's land the animal is on at present" this also makes it impossible for a "feral domestic livestock" animal to bring liability upon the landowner who last had that animal on his place.

Bud, I wasn't trying to correct you or anyone in my last post... Just putting my opinion of the terms up for discussion...
Brent
Old December 24, 2009, 12:04 PM   #24
Bud Helms

Same here.
Old December 24, 2009, 12:12 PM   #25
Hog Buster

Hey guys, the hogs around here were brought in by the Spanish in the 15th century. That's 500 years ago! If they ain't wild by now I don't know what is. They're long legged, short bodied , straight tailed, hairy varmints with large plow shaped heads. A 200 pounder would be considered big.

They feed on sugar cane and corn that's grown here. They're built for speed and never have much fat, about like a deer. Destructive as hell to our crops, we've been killing or trapping them for years. Not that you could tell by the numbers that are still here. They're nocturnal as raccoons so trapping is the best way to get them. Of course there's enough that on early mornings or late afternoons you always have a chance to shoot a few.

They're pretty good eating barbecued or roasted in a Cajun microwave. What's a Cajun microwave? A cypress box with a metal tray on top. You put the hog in the box, build a fire on top and drink beer till it's cooked. Then you stand around eat hog and tell lies. Of course you can make sausage with them also, but always have to add a bit of fatback because they're somewhat lean.