The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Slugo

do you really need an expensive target gun to...

to deliver the best score ever. Answer, NO!!! Still, my best round of sporting clays was a 46/50 back in the late 90's using a, get this, synthetic black Remington 1100 12 gauge with a 28" barrel. Bone stock and shooting in bad weather... I will never forget that day...
Old June 15, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

I do not doubt that I can miss as well with an expensive target gun as I can with an 870 Express. Yes sir. I have missing done cold.
Old June 15, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3
BigJimP

I agree no you don't ....

BUT !!! ....
a. the gun needs to "Fit" so it hits where you look !
b. it needs to be durable / reliable enough to perform 100% ...or it will cost you targets ...

now whether that is a Rem 1100 ...or a Beretta 391 ..or a relatively inexpensive O/U at $ 1,000 - $ 2,000 ..../ and you replace it after 100,000 shells or every 5 yrs or whatever ...

or you buy a gun that will go 500,000 shells or 2 Million shells ... before it may have to be rebuilt ...is up to you.

but what's "expensive" ...over $ 10,000 ...over $ 3,000 ...over $ 1,000 is relative as well ...to probably your age, your personal finances, what gun you want to shoot, etc....

My $ 3,000 Browning Citori XS Skeet models ...are all the gun I'll ever need at this point in my shooting career / and my competition days are over. They aren't expensive guns to me ...or to many of us at least...they're just good strong production guns - and I like them a lot.

But if I were in my early 30's and taking competition very seriously ...I'd invest in a Krieghoff K-80 ...with a carrier barrel -and a full set of tubes in 20ga, 28ga, and .410 ...and of course a stand alone 12ga set of barrels - all in 30" barrels, with a Trap stock ...and I'd shoot it for Sporting Clays and Skeet ...and some upland bird hunting. But I'd also look at a Kolar, and maybe a Blaser - and the K-80.

For Trap I would still go to a dedicated gun with 32" barrels in an O/U or maybe a single barrel break open gun like the Krieghoff KX-6.

But for shooters that aren't that serious about competition...there are a lot of "field" comb guns ...that will work very well - for a very long time (if they Fit ) / but remember, the cost of the gun ....vs targets, entry fees, gas, hotels, etc ..is by far the least expensive part of these games - even if all you do is compete on a local level.

But do you need to have a $3,000 gun to have fun ...no, you don't. You just need to have a good attitude ...and go out and have some fun ...and enjoy your buddies or whatever ...and try your best ! The toughest shooting days ...are the ones you remember anyway ...when its 110 degrees and you were whipped, when it snowed for 3 days straight - but you stuck it out, when the rain was running down your neck - and it was miserable..../ you always enjoyed but quickly forgot the 60 degree days - with no wind because they were common ......its the tough ones that stand out ...that you tell lies about over dinner, or whatever...20 yrs later !!

Last edited by BigJimP; June 15, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old June 15, 2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Slugo

I'm talking any five figure gun. Doesn't matter, $1000 or $10,000. Many many people have a difficult time these days financially, so $1000 bucks is no different than a million for many folks. Even $250 for something used is a mountain to climb for the less fortunate. At times I feel like a real butt-hole posting pics of my Brownings and such. Talk about looking like a pompous ass! Anyway, I'm rambling...

Just funny that my best score came from a $350 black plastic gun...
Old June 15, 2012, 01:58 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Slugo don't feel that way, I enjoy looking at the better guns. Shopping in a high end gun store is like the kid in a candy store.

Be proud of what you have and use them. It's the guy's that brag about their $250 pump's out shooting the more expensive guns are showing what real turkeys(wanting to use better words$%^*&%$#&@^$@) they are.

I can't afford to go out and order a New Browning but I wait for opportunities to come my way. And sometmes I'll get a very good price on a older brand name gun.
Old June 15, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
BigJimP

No, you're not being pompous .....you're discussing - what you think are the best shotguns to suit your needs. None of us are putting guys down that want to shoot a $ 200 pump gun ...

Enjoying guns ...every time you touch it ...to clean it, shoot it, or whatever...is part of the fun of having them / and I hope everybody enjoys their guns, regardless of what they cost, every time they take them to the range or the field. I know I do ...and I'm confident you do as well.

When I was younger and raising kids....a few hundred bucks extra was hard to come by .../ and I'm the first to admit --- I have been very fortunate, like you have been, and can afford to buy and shoot what I want these days.

Most of us try to give back a little ...teach a young person to shoot, if you find an active duty military guy at your gun club - pay his fees for him that day ...go out of your way to offer to help a guy with his shooting that is struggling ( don't just tell him / ask him or her - if they'd like some help)...and if they ask, inform them about the guns you're shooting ..and why you bought them ..and why they work for you. I try to do this once in a while at my shotgun clubs...and my handgun ranges ( did it last nite, for a couple of guys at my indoor range )...

you paid good money for all your guns ....and you worked hard for the money ...nothing to be ashamed of / and no reason to feel like someone might think you're pompous because you're sharing what you're doing ...on the Citori 725 or any other gun. Somebody else may be thinking about the 725 series ...and our "banter" might help them on their decision...

I ask a few questions on handguns, etc ...from guys that are more knowledgeable than I am on some platforms...before I buy too...
Old June 15, 2012, 02:27 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
I'm talking any five figure gun. Doesn't matter, $1000 or $10,000
UH, that would be comparing a 4 figure to a 5 figure amount

As Jim said - fit is everything - once you get over 10K you are getting into the wood, engraving and extra above and beyond hand-fitting. That said, there is a reason the top shooters - both here, at the Olympics, and world-wide shoot those Perazzis, Beretta SO's, etc........because they accomplish the goal - winning the championships
Old June 15, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I hope you still have that black plastic 1100,Slugo.

I remember those. Walmart or K mart had them down to $328. I started a thread here and put out the word ,then they sold a lot of cheap, reliable autos to lots of happy TFL members.

I'd bet that 1100 came closer to fitting you than anything since, and the balance helped on THOSE presentations.
Old June 15, 2012, 03:34 PM   #9
BigJimP

Shotguns 11-10-08 001.jpg
Citori XS Skeet models in ( 12ga - 20ga - 28ga and .410 )

Shotguns 11-10-08 007.jpg
Citori BT-100 ..Trap gun

Shotguns Browning XT's 017.jpg
pair of Citori XT's - both 32" barrels..( just because I may need a 2nd one)..

and I'm not giving any of these guns up ...anytime soon...
Old June 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #10
zippy13

In the late 60s I got a Winchester M-101 Skeet gun to learn the game followed by one in .410-bore. Within a few months shot a 98 with the 12-ga. For almost 20-years I shot that gun and never did any better. There always seemed to be something that would prevent my progress. I shot it when I stated in NSSA competition and got a 98 in my first event and shot my way into AA. Wanting to compete in 4-guns, I got a P-gun with tubes. I was soon shooting 100s in the 12-ga and straights in .410 (something I never did with my .410 101).

If you've peaked with your present gun(s), perhaps it's time to upgrade. One P-gun in the winner's circle is worth a dozen losers in the vault.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:22 PM   #11
LSnSC

Those narrow combs on Remington shotguns come closer to fitting more people than about an other factory gun. Even with all of the new and improved versions out there, they are still very good guns for 90% of the shooters out there.
I like my Berettas ease of maintenance,and the fact they digest my frugal 7/8 oz reloads, but they really dont shoot any better than my 1100's and 1187's. And to my eye they are not nearly as attractive. I have an 11-87 Trap gun that has some really gorgeous wood on it.
Old June 16, 2012, 01:02 AM   #12
340 Weatherby

The more they cost, the better I shoot them. Especially if I truly couldn't afford to buy it.
Old June 16, 2012, 01:49 AM   #13
Virginian

I shot my best rounds of skeet and my best rounds of Sporting both with the same 1963 Model 1100, 34 years apart. Shot my best rounds of trap with my Wingmaster duck gun still wearing camo after a full day hunting. Boy did that light up the scare jacket O/U brigade. I didn't bother to tell them I can't shoot an O/U over 28 gauge worth a hoot.
Old June 16, 2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Slugo

Dave McC, you hit the nail on the head. I picked up my plastic 1100 at Wally World. At the same time I also had a Browning Gold Sporter. I preferred the 1100 and it was great in bad weather, great duck gun along the Susquehanna River. The 1100 fit like a glove. Great memories of an inexpensive gun...
Old June 16, 2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I thought so. Great Volks-Shotgun......
Old June 17, 2012, 08:58 AM   #16
eastbank

for me the cheapest upgrade was to install morgen pads with the cearved rubber pad on my shotguns. now i can adjust the shot pattern to 70-30 over center and that works for me. eastbank.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:45 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

eastbank, I don't wish to hijack this thread and have started another about how your morgan pad could change the spread of your pattern. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...69#post5118269

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old June 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #18
g.willikers

Slugo, nice shooting with that 1100.
But you say that like it shouldn't oughta' ever happened.
Those special priced 1100s were/are just fine.
Changeable chokes, ribbed barrel.
Add a good recoil pad, maybe some lead in the stock for better balance and what else does anyone really need, anyhow?
Besides, them stocks ain't plastic, they're synthetic.
Old June 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #19
jonnyc

My little posse scores a bit differently, but I can shoot 4/5s and 5/5s all day long with my $177 Maverick 88 12ga. I hope to be able to shoot as well when I get the 20ga O/U on my Want List.
Old June 17, 2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Slugo

jonnyc, where are you located in PA? I'm in central PA, Hershey area...
Old June 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #21
jonnyc

Phoenixville, a bit west of Valley Forge.
Old June 17, 2012, 08:25 PM   #22
4runnerman

Ok for some of the older folks (me ). Some might remember the MHD Rod and Gun Club. I worked there when i was 15 and 16 resetting the traps for Skeet shooting. On a occassion i would also get to shoot. Back in the days all i had was a old 870 wingmaster and i thought that was the best shot gun i had ever shot. So i agree with others Price has some to do with it ,but in the end it's the man behind the trigger that makes the gun shoot good.