The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
SCDeac82

Peltor Ear Muffs?

Hello Everyone:

Does anyone have a reccomendation on muffs?

One of these has a NRR of 24 and the other of 19.

I'll be wearing plugs underneath to supplement.

Tactical 7S Electronic Shooting Earmuffs (NRR 24)
The 7S is an ideal electronic ear muff for both indoor and outdoor range shooting, as well as for workers using nail guns and others who are exposed to intermittent dangerous noise levels.

Tactical 6S Electronic Shooter's Ear Muffs (NRR 19) designed primarily for the trap and skeet shooters. The thin profile helps keep the protectors from interfering with the movements required in trap and skeet range shooting.

Thoughts?
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old January 13, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
wogpotter

Quote:
I'll be wearing plugs underneath to supplement.
Then you'll need to avoid anything slimline because they won't fit. Slimline foam is in contact with the ear.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 14, 2011, 12:08 AM   #3
SVO

Go with the higher NRR rating ear muffs.

You would have to have some really bulky ear plugs for them to interfer with ear muffs. Unless you are an old timer sticking cartridge cases in your ears for ear plugs.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Fargazer

If only a choice between the two, go with the higher NRR rating.

If looking for other options, consider the Peltor TacticalPro (NRR 28).

The big reason to go with these kind of muffs is to be able to hear normal conversation while still protecting yourself from the noise of gunshots. What I've found is that doubling up on muffs with ear plugs prevents me hearing conversations, which was the point of the muffs in the first place. So if you plan to double up all the time, I'd just go with a non electronic set of muffs with a 30+ NRR.

I own the Peltor Tactical Pro's. If someone's shooting a .44 Mag or higher at the indoor range it bothers me, but I can just shut off or tune down the microphones and it's reasonably comfortable - no need to leave the hot range to remove my muffs to stick in earplugs. I'm not sure a NRR 24 will be as effective under those circumstances, but YMMV.

One disclaimer: I'm doubling up with NRR 33 plugs, same as what I use on the motorcycle. In the next couple weeks I'm going to try doubling up with earplugs more designed for concerts - NRR 20, that reduces sound evenly across all frequencies - and see if I can find a happy medium where I can cut down the heavy caliber noise further but still hear people talk.

One other thought: Peltor sells a gel ear seal kit to replace the existing foam or foam/gel seals on their muffs. This is reported by some to boost the NRR rating a bit because of a better seal to the head. Not sure they are worth it - the Tactical Pro's already have a decent foam/gel seal, and if you are going to put those on the 6S or 7S, you just boosted the price past the Tactical Pro's.
Old January 14, 2011, 10:47 AM   #5
kayak45

I'll go with fargazer the pro's are great! Had them for three years and can hear conservations and still keep my hearing in a small indoor as well as a big firing line outdoors. You can even turn them up and improve your hearing at distance for hunting.
Old January 14, 2011, 02:03 PM   #6
buck460XVR

I have a pair of Tactical 6S...after a using them about three times the right ear started to hum/crackle and cut in and out. Peltor said too bad. Won't stand behind them and don't make replacement parts. Checking reviews on the internet and it seems to be a common thread. Last pair of anything Peltor I will own.
Old January 14, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7
chris in va

Not terribly impressed with my friend's 6s. Despite having two mic's, I still couldn't discern sound location very well. Not much supression either.

I just use plugs connected to a cord when shooting long guns and call it good.
Old January 14, 2011, 10:15 PM   #8
SCDeac82

Thanks for the input guys.

Best Regards,

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old January 16, 2011, 12:19 AM   #9
FLJim

Another vote for the Tactical Pros. Very pleased with mine.

Jim
Old January 16, 2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Peter M. Eick

I use the Tac pro's also and would recommend them. I only "double plug" meaning earphones and ear plugs when I am shooting my 357 Maximum or 357 Sig with comp. Otherwise earphones work just fine.