The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 12, 2011, 08:47 AM   #26
jgcoastie

All my SD handguns (as well duty handgun) are 2nd strike capable. So my failure drill is S.T.A.R.S.

Squeeze
Tap
Assess
Rack
Squeeze

The "assess" step is a simultaneous glance as I draw back the slide to see if a FTE/double-feed is the source. If so, I could rack the slide all day and not clear the jam.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:53 AM   #27
Sport45

The way I look at it is my odds of being in a gunfight are miniscule. The odds of my revolver failing during that gunfight are so small I don't loose any sleep worrying about it.

I keep a fire extinguisher in case I need it. I don't keep an extra in case it fails. (Hate to admit, but it's been over a year since I verified the one I have is pressured up and the hose is okay. I'll have to take care of that when I get home....)

Of course, there are usually other ways to put out a fire just like there are usually other ways to get out of trouble.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:18 PM   #28
Glenn Dee

Hey Fella's

For myself...

When carrying in possible harms way

A service sized pistol or revolver with at least one reload, and usually a second small revolver/pistol with it's own reload. My theory is in case of a malfunction of my pistol. TAP-RACK-BANG drill... That fails drop the mag and insert my spare. And TAP-RACK-BANG. A complete malfunction then transition to the second gun. If carrying a revolver ... well I've only had a revolver malfinction once, and that was my fault. But with a revolver I'd probably transition to the second revolver before I'd re-load.

When carrying within my own comfort zone

I carry one small revolver, or pistol with at least one reload.

Perhaps my experiences have made me somewhat paranoid, or overly sensitive to dangers both real and imaginary. My philosophy is that doo-doo happens when and were you least expect it. And the people who bring the doo-doo may not look like I expect them to.

Glenn Dee
Old January 12, 2011, 07:33 PM   #29
youngunz4life

I would definately go for the 2nd weapon first and then back to the one that needs attention later on if I had a problem while shooting one in self-defense. In my case it would be two revolvers, and we're talking pretty much no time at all to use either one.