The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 10, 2001, 07:05 PM   #1
dodge

Shooting Ranges

My wife and I will be in the Norfolk/portsmouth, Va. area next week. She is going on business and I'm along on vacation. What I need to know if there is any ranges there that will rent handguns so I can do some shooting while she takes care of business.
Old July 10, 2001, 07:57 PM   #2
Navy joe

Hey Dodge, There are several, first is Bob's Guns in downtown Norfolk on Granby street. For those of you that know about that end of Granby, what a place for a gun store! It's a wonderful store, three stories, one for guns, one for ammo, and then a range! You need to check this place out however, I say pass on the range, I shot there once, 6 lanes, looked like 30-35 foot max.
For shooting I highly recommend Lynnhaven shooting range in Va bch. On 264 out of downtown Nalfook it will only take you 20 minutes, take the lynnhaven pkwy south exit, 2 miles down on the left behind TGI Friday's. Mall on your right. Phone # 427-2627, address 2664 Lishelle place. (Can you tell I'm reading my membership card??)
About the range, it is 25 meter, all caliber and they rent AR's too, 3 bays, 18 lane, good staff, ok selection of rentals, reasonable ammo prices. Range fee is 6, rentals I think 6, 10 fee for rifle, expect to pay about 10 per box for Winchester .45acp, current 9mm crap is magtech somewhere in the 6-7 neighborhood. Nice retail selection, owner has on display a 1911 collection that will make you cry. Happy shooting, I may see you there. You be the one sighting down the right side of the slide no?

Gee, didn't see you were new at first, welcome to TFL!
Old July 11, 2001, 08:03 PM   #3
dodge

Shooting Ranges

I guess that I'm old fashion and a hillbilly to boot I just haven't learned to shoot by aiming down the right side of the slide yet. I get with the times I guess I'll have to get my gunsmith to mount me some of the gangsta sights on my 1911 and be more citified. If you're there and see someone that you don't normally see there that stands at 6'5'' and weights 315 lbs with a balding head of hair then it'll probably be me. Thanks for the info and while my wife is taking care of business I'm going to try and get there for some shooting fun.
Old July 21, 2001, 03:54 PM   #4
dodge

Shooting Ranges

Well Navy Joe, I found the range on Lynnhaven and did a bit of shooting. I waws quite pleased as it is a pretty nice range and the staff were very friendly. I was only there for a very short time due to having to be back for my wife but I did get to shoot a box of 45's. Don't know if you was there or not but I made it there Wednesday afternoon. Yes that collection of .45's just about made me cry for it being so nice. thank you for pointing me in the right direction as it made my stay just a little bit better.