The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 9, 2001, 05:51 PM   #1
alan

I saw the below mentioned film strip this past Friday, however due to circumstances beyond control, could not post till now

The NRA, everyone's whipping boy has more than a few warts, and other problems. Having noted that, earlier this evening, on their web site, I viewed a film strip titled Gun Confiscation In California, or words to that effect. Strikes me that, if for nothing other than an object lesson, a great many people might spend the 25 of so minutes it takes to view the film.

Having said that, I note that the Roberti-Roos "Assault Weapons Law" was enacted in 1989, giving me pause to wonder as to where in blazes the gun owners of California have been with respect to the several elections that have been held since that time. I fully expect to get yelled at over this question. By the way, years ago, it is 30 plus, I lived for a while in California.

Next point is as follows. California is often billed as "the model" for whatever, that all others should emulate, and you know, there are many, some in elective office, that subscribe to this foolishness. Keep that in mind, with a view to such as might be proposed in the legislature, where you live.

Getting back to the individual, it has been said, several times at least, that the gun owner is his own, worst enemy. Looking at the sloth, the laziness and the ignorance displayed by many gun owners, I would not be in the least surprised at this conclusion. Notwithstanding the frustration, the anger that exposing oneself to such people as these might engender, spending a few moments speaking with them just might, in the long run, prove to have been worth while.

The gun owners in California might well have dug their own grave, one hopes that that is not the case, however that is the way it looks. There is absolutely no reason whatever for others to EMULATE their foolishness. Let is be said that while gun owners once were their own, worst enemies, that they learned better, and that they learned before it became to late.

By the way, the so-called "assault weapoins" ban and magazine capicity limits in the 1994 Crime Bill will "sunset", in Sept. 2004, that is die a natural death, unless re-authorized. Frankly, I do not trust President Bush, "to do the right thing", that is fight against and if necessary to veto reauthorization. Therefore, it is up to the gunowners of this country, as well as those non shooters/non gun owners who can be brought to the point where they understand the specious nature of the above mentioned requirements. While these rules sunset in 2004, NOW is not to early to start exerting pressure on our "elected things". If we do not carry our own water on this matter, there isn't anyone who will step in, and help, or do it for us.
Old April 9, 2001, 07:14 PM   #2
paratrooper

The reason that KA has not voted these people out is that KA is a good growing state . They grow voters . Plant immigrants , feed with welfare and food stamps and tell them to vote Democrap or the gravy train ends .
AMERICAN LEGION
U.S. PARATROOPER
Old April 9, 2001, 09:35 PM   #3
Ranger Grant

We gun owners in Kalifornia are unfortunately outnumbered by the antigunners! Thats why we can't stop these stupid laws!
Old April 9, 2001, 10:18 PM   #4
w00dy

President Bush has said that he is not going to do anything to stop the AW ban from coming back and if it makes it to his desk he will sign it into law. What I fear the most is that whatever bill gets created to take the place of the ban will be even worse than what we've had for the past 7 years. My guess is that it will be akin to PRK's SB23. We need to kill it in Congress if we are ever going to get our lost rights back. Hopefully in 2002 we can get some pro-gun Senators elected. If the Democraps regain the Senate in 2002, then we can kiss our hopes goodbye. Remember who started the whole "assault weapons" ban, good ol' Bush Sr. Like father like son I'm afraid.