The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 21, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
thinktwice

Sig P-290 Light Primer Strikes HELP!!

I just purchased a Sig P-290 for CCW. I really like this little pistol when it fires. Which brings me to the problem. I am getting light primer strikes. The pistol will not fire more times than it will fire. I am using the TULAMMO and have never had a problem with it in any of my other pistols. I tried some in my Kahr just to see if maybe I got a bad batch of ammo, and they all fired just fine. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? I really don't want to send it to Sig, but I will if I have to. Maybe some of you guys can guide me in the right direction so I won't have to send it off. If I can get it to shoot it will make a nice little ccw pistol. The few times it did fire the trigger was smooth, and it is very accurate for such a small pistol. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 21, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Roughedge

Did you buy the gun new? Have you tried another kind of ammo. sounds like your main spring may be weak or you have something slowing down the firing pin.
Old July 21, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
thinktwice

No I bought it slightly used, I wouldn't even have known it was used if my local gun store owner didn't tell me. I mean it has very little use, I haven't seen any wear anywhere you would normally see on an auto. I haven't tried any other ammo yet, I didn't think that would be an issue, but maybe so. But I think it being a Sig it should shoot anything kind of 9mm. I haven't even taken it apart yet, anything I should look for?
Old July 21, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
wyop

First thing I would try is some other ammo. Federal is known for having reasonably soft primers, so try running Federal factory ammo through the gun.

If you still have malfunctions, then it's time to look inside the gun. First, I'd look for any dirt that might be either slowing the firing pin or restricting full movement of same.

Next after that comes issues of weak springs, and for that, you'd have to inquire of Sig what their specs are for their springs.
Old July 23, 2012, 09:48 PM   #5
thinktwice

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have it figured out. Turn's out it seems to have been the TULAMMO ammo. Although I have used it in my other pistols I have never had a problem with it. Anyway today I bought some Federal 115 gr FMJ. Fired 100 rounds flawlessly. I also shot some other old mixed rounds I had laying around, and they too did fine so for now it looks like it was the TULAMMO. I will shoot some more this weekend and get a least another 100 rounds or more down range before I start carrying it. Again thanks for all the help.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
AhChi WaWa

This is a known issue with the P290. So much so that they redesigned it as the 290RS (restrike)
Mine was back to the factory 5 times in 2 months and they finally replaced the gun, then it too started having light strikes recently. If it happens again send it back to Sig