The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 28, 2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Annie1952

My S&W.32 Revolvers: How Old Are they?

My mother passed away in 2000 and my brother & I found 2 .32 revolvers in her closet. I had a friend clean & oil them and they've been in a case ever since. I know I could spend $100 and have S&W send me the history, or spend $40 and buy a catalog but I cannot afford it. Can someone give me the approximate ages? #1- S/N 3221_, chrome in color, 5 1/4" barrel (I left off the last digit, and there is a star symbol after the serial #). #2- S/N 53429_, black, 2 1/2" barrel. Can anyone help?
Old November 28, 2009, 08:01 AM   #2
gyvel

Top break? Solid frame? Markings? Grips?

Pics are the most helpful.

The one with the star was most likely refinished at the factory.
Old November 28, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3
omega

S&W made a variety of .32's at the turn of the century (the last one) using the "J" frame. They are collectively called the 1903 S&W HE 32, chambered in .32 S&W Long, and intended for LEO back up or the for the daring ladies of the age. The HE stands for 'hand ejector', for whatever that's worth.

A 1903 blue 'Lady Smith' can sell for $700 or so in good condition. It's hard to tell what you actually have in your hand, but you can probably find an old Smith & Wesson 'catalog' on line if you search hard enough.

Good luck. They are sweet little guns.
Old November 28, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

The J frame didn't come into existence until the 1950s, when S&W planned for a small-frame revolver in .38 Special.

Prior to that, the original .32 Hand Ejector (side swing cylinders) were built on the I frame using a leaf main spring.

After World War II the I frame was redesigned to use a coil spring and was slightly enlarged, giving the Improved I frame. The Improved I frame was still not large enough to allow chambering of the .38 Special, which led to the birth of the J frame.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 28, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
omega

Thanks for the frame designation history, Mike. It's always been a little murky to me, especially for the earlier S&W, since designations for future larger frames would have been moot. My knowledge of revolvers is limited, but looking at auction histories of a similar 1903.32 HE I came across, designation for the little old Smiths seems generally stated only as pre-war and post-war frames, so your 1950's date ("I" to "J") is indeed pivotal. It was tough enough cramming five rounds of .32 into the "I" frame cylinder, so larger frames (different designation) for .38/.357 seemed a natch.

In any event, back to Annie's pistols, are you saying, Annie, that the two guns have been in cases - as in original boxes - all this time? Now, that would be sweet. It may be worth a few bucks to nail down their manufacturing histories.
Old November 28, 2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Early Smith & Wesson boxes can bring high prices on their own with no associated handgun.

Old December 4, 2009, 06:57 PM   #7
gyvel

What was the frame designation for the Ladysmiths? I've forgotten. I'm thinking it was "M", but I can't remember.
Old December 6, 2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, the original .22 caliber small frame LadySmiths were built on the M frame.

Even a ragged out M frame can bring $1,000.

Old December 6, 2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Radagast

annie 1952:

I am asuming the guns have S&W logos or other identification on them. Many companies made guns chambered for .32 S&W or .32 long cartridges.

---------------
Top breaks:

If the guns are top breaks (cylinder lifts up and barrel tilts down to to load) then the caliber is .32 S&W and they could be any of the following:

Gun number 1:
If it is a single action (has an exposed hammer & you can only
cock it with your thumb) Then it is a .32 Single Action / Model One & A Half Centerfire, manufactured between 1878 & 1892.

If the gun has an exposed hammer and is double action - you can cock it by pulling the trigger or using the hammer, then it is a S&W .32 Double Action 3rd model manufactured between 1882 & 1883.

If the gun has an enclosed hammer and can only be fired by pulling the trigger then it is a .32 Safety Hammerless 1st Model / New Departure / Lemon Squeezer manufactured between 1888 & 1902.

6 inch barrels were available on these models. 5.25 is not a standard length.
length of barrel is measured from the forcing cone (cylinder end) to the muzzle, not from the muzzle to the frame.

Gun number 2: can't be a top break, as the serial numbers didn't go that high.
------------------------

Hand Ejectors:
If the cylinder swings out to the left then gun is chambered for .32 S&W long and is a .32 Hand Ejector.

Gun number one is a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 first change manufactured between 1904 & 1906. Common barrel lengths were 3.25, 4.25 & 6 inches.

Gun number 2 if it has a rounded butt is a .32 Hand Ejector third model manufactured close to 1942, as the serial range cut off at 536684 in that year. If it has a square butt then it is a prewar .32 Regulation Police, again manufactured around 1942, although there is a slim chance it is one of the first manufactured after the war in 1946.

The star after the serial number on gun number one means it has been rebuilt or refinished at S&W at some point.
Old December 6, 2009, 08:28 PM   #10
omega

Hey, Radagast, it sounds like you know your stuff about these little old Smith & Wessons. Maybe you can help me out.

I've got an old round-butt 3" S&W .32 HE with the first patent listed as 1889, SN 83900 or so. Any idea on the actual build date?

Thanks for your expertise.

Tags
.32 revlolver , smith & wesson