The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Cheapshooter

Checked one off the short list.

I thought I'd at least make an apperance at a couple LGS Saturday for National Gun Appreciaton Day. With the run on guns, and the prices raising ever day I wasn't sure I would buy anything. One of the shops I visited had a wall that was nearly empty of all handguns. But Right there in the middle was a Ruger LCR. One near the top of my list. The surprising part was the price was within a couple bucks of a year or more ago in the same shop, and at $429, about $50 less than other places in my area before the Obama induced run on guns.
A couple more on the short list may not be that hard to come by. A Charter Ams Bulldog shouldn't be too hard to find. But next on the list is one I haven't seen in shops. A Taurus 992 stainless 4". I've seen It in 6" stainless, or blue, and also 4" blue. But not the one I want. The other two on the original list of 5 could be more problematic, If not impossible. 1. CZ SP01, and 2. Glock 17.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 21, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
9mm

Yeah LCR $430 is decent, last year when I went to the gun show they had the best deals in all of town and nation??... $380.00 for LCR in 357.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

My Dad just got a G17 about $100 more than he should have paid. It was his first handgun though and he didn't mind. In all seriousness, if youre really hard up for a G17 *right* now, check out gunbroker and 3rd party sites and expect big markups.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 21, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
bigghoss

Since the LCR isn't something that would be affected by potential bans the prices seem to be pretty stable in the $430-460 area. Pistols that hold more than 10 rounds have gone up but I've still been able to find a few honest shops locally with more than fair prices. I almost bought a new gen 3 glock 19 at a store saturday for $530 and another had gen 3 for $550 and gen 4 for $580.

I really want a .357 and .22lr LCR but I really despise internal key locks, just on principle if nothing else.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5
bikerbill

Just picked up a new XDs at an Austin gun store ... I had ordered it just a week ago, picked it up Sat after rally at the state capital .. the price was $545, $50 below list ... I felt I was paying a reasonable price for something I have wanted since I first started reading about them ... they had a few ARs on the wall, average price was around $1,200 ...
Old January 23, 2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Bigghoss, I was thinking the same thing, but found out that the price may not have risen on revolvers, but availability has been affected. The other shops I visited that day had very few wheel guns, one having only used antiques, and high end S&W revolvers. The first place I went to had several Charter Arms guns before Christmas. Including the Bulldog I was wanting. Saturday they had no Taurus, or Charter revolvers, and only 2 Ruger LCR 22 rimfire, and a couple single actions. They were the shop that had numerious high end Smiths though.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!