The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Ramshot Enforcer

Anyone out there use the stuff for 44 mag or 357 mag? I would appreciate any solid information before buying a pound. I would be using it to produce some stout hunting loads.

Does the powder meter well?
Is it clean or dirty?
Are the velocities as advertised and consistent?

Thanks in advance.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
black mamba

Ramshot Enforcer is the same powder as Accurate 4100, which I use for 44 magnum (same as H110 and WW296 are the same powder, just different labels).

It is a very high density, fine grained powder and works superbly through a powder measure. In my 10" Encore pistol I can seat bullets out to 1.74" COL, giving me a measured 1365 fps with Nosler or Sierra 300 gr jacketed bullets. These loads burn cleanly and do NOT use a magnum primer, but CCI-300 or WLP. Gives almost identical velocities as Accurate #9, weight for weight, but with less pressure. Burn rate is between 2400 and H110, and about the same as Li'l Gun and SR4759.

Accuracy is excellent. I have fired a 5-shot group at 50 yards off sandbagged rest measuring 0.938" with these loads. Highly recommended.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:39 AM   #3
totaldla

I use it for 44 mag - exclusively. It is slower burning than AA#9 & 2400, but faster than H110/W296. I.e. it gives faster velocities than 2400 but just a little slower than H110/W296. It works best with a magnum primer. It is less abrasive on the forcing cone and top-strap than H110/W296. My Chrony showed good velocities for my 4" application - Ramshot's data is honest.

It is a true ball powder. Little tiny balls, equal sized, and it flows like water. Meters very well from my Dillon. Meters well from a Lee Perfect but will leak out of it after awhile.

It burns clean when the pressure is up - i.e. loaded towards max. But this is true of all the slow powders. Generally speaking, if you want clean put-put loads you should use a much faster powder like TiteGroup.

Hope this helps.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:37 PM   #4
bluetopper

I'm a firm believer in Accurate 4100. I use it in 357, 44 Mag, and 500 S&W Mag. It performs great in all of them with superb accuracy. It burns relatively cool compared to other magnum powders with less flash than any I have had experience with and I have not ever needed a magnum primer even when I tried it in 38 Special. I bought a 4 pound jug of it a few months ago.