The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 8, 2004, 05:55 PM   #1
marine

SASS holsters and revolver grips

I havn't joined the SASS yet, but think I will - sounds like fun. I was looking at a few of the revolver rigs on-line. Does anyone have any experiance in the quality of leather offered by the various manufactures?

I looked at El Paso Saddlery - http://www.epsaddlery.com/

I looked at Circle KB - http://www.circlekb.com/merchant2/me...tegory_Code=GL

I also looked at Wild Rose Trading Co - http://www.wrtcleather.com/index_gunrigs.html

The Wild Rose Rigs really look great, are expensive, but not sure of quality.

The Circle KB rigs advertise - Fully guaranteed and dutifully created with pride in Quality Workmanship using only Premium USA Vegetable Tanned Leather (we do not use chrome, imported, pre-dyed or uric tanned leather)

El Paso Saddlery was reviewed by a few gun mags as having great quality products.

I'm not sure what the heck "chrome, imported, pre-dyed or uric tanned leather" has to do with quality. Any guidelines and experiance?

One last question - Downloaded the SASS guidebooks. I have a Colt SSA 7.5 barrel with a manufactured date of 1973. It has the plastic Colt grips that came with the revolver. Wasn't clear to me if those grips are ok, or need to be replaced under the SASS guidelines.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks - Mac
Old October 11, 2004, 08:18 PM   #2
griz

I don't know the best way to tan leather, but I figured out quality is worth the high price. I think all of the brands you listed are good ones. As long as you are talking quality leather all the top brands are comprable. It comes down to personal preference. I started with some cheaper stuff and am now using leather from GJL. He from PA and goes to a lot of our big matches and I liked his work. Ask folks at local matches and look at some of the rigs they are using. Most cowboys love to talk about gear almost as much as guns. Don't overlook used stuff. Sometimes people will switch styles of holsters or go to some fancier rig, and they will get rid of the old ones.

You should be fine with the grips. The main concern of SASS is something like the Houge rubber grips or a big target style. I can't imagine somebody would give you a hard time over any grip that came on an actual Colt. I think the very early ones used a hard rubber which looks pretty close to plastic anyway.
Old October 12, 2004, 03:58 PM   #3
marine

griz - thanks for info. I think I'll try to drop down to the local range to see what up. Sent the Mad River Rangers an e-mail re joining the club, and info, but no response. Like you indicate, I was worried about spending big $ on a rig that wasn't good quality. I was particulary concerned about rigs made with leather that has been "aged" to get that "authentic look". I assume that the aging process would take a lot out of the useful life of the leather. But what the heck do I know. I'll follow my gut instincts. Anyways, thanks for your input and happy shooting.
Mac
Old October 13, 2004, 07:32 AM   #4
bp_cowboy

You can pick up

used one or one of the Mexican imports at a gun show pretty cheap. If you are just starting you it will save you some cash.
Old October 16, 2004, 03:32 AM   #5
Sir William

I have been at this for a few years. My suggestion is to buy cheap Triple K leather to start with. When you decide to stay in CAS, buy from Big Ed in Tombstone. www.sanpedrosaddlery.com The Colt SAA with eagle grips is just fine. I suggest you avoid cheap rifles, they aren't. Uberti or Marlin are about it at present. Taurus is working hard to break into the CAS market though.
Old November 1, 2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Col. Sir H.P. Flashm

The problem w/ the Mexican made rigs is that they are cured w/ Urine, hence Uric Tanned.
You get them wet & you don't wish to be around for the Smell.
Plus they do not last very long because of that, They dry rot more quickly.

Cheers
Sir Harry