The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Maggs

Rossi Lever Action

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and have a few questions about the Rossi Model 92.

I'm looking for a .357 (I think) or .44 with the 24" barrel. I handled one at a local shop a few months ago and REALLY felt the need to bring it home. I'm thinking about the longer octagon barrel because I like the weight.

This gun will primarily be used for some bench plinking and shooting deer out to about 75 - 80 yards. I'm hoping for 2" groups at 75 yards. Is this unreasonable?

How are they for maintenance/reliability?

As for .357 or .44? A friend uses a .357 for deer in eastern United States. I was leaning toward .357 because I already have a .357 handgun. Balistically, for deer hunting, I know that I should lean towards a .44.

Any thoughts on the Rossi?

Maggs
Old January 4, 2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Maggs….

I have a Rossi Model 92 in .45 Long Colt (16 inch barrel) and I like it, BUT I am not a hunter.

I get 1400 to 1500 fps using black powder and I think that is reliably lethal for deer. I do acknowledge that deer are different depending upon where you are hunting.

My uncle and cousin took deer in PA with a .45 caliber Hawken up to 210 pounds. That was before sabot bullets were widely available so they probably used patched round balls or REAL minies.

I had a .357 Henry Big Boy which I traded for a Big Boy in .45 Long Colt. To me, the .357 was too anemic but then I don't hunt. I shoot for the smoke, noise and fire. (Black powder cartridges only.)
Old January 4, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

A friend of mine has three of those guns and one is an octogon barrel. All three shoot very well, around 3" or less 100yds off a bench with the dialed in load for each gun. I have a Marlin 357 which shot as well, but no better. I don't think accuracy would be a problem for you. I can tell you from owning several 44mags and 357s that for plinking you'll like the 357 a lot better. It's cheaper, recoils less, and is a little more accurate out of the Rossi rifle (I know some Rossi 44mag rifle shooters also). I've shot and killed over 50 whitetails with the 357mag and haven't lost one yet (knock on wood, it can happen). Using heavy enough bullets that shoot well and PLACING THE SHOT WELL, is the secret to using the 357 for deer. Good luck with what ever choice you make.

Last edited by NoSecondBest; January 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:22 AM   #4
prm

I've owned my Rossi/Puma 92 in .357 for close to 30 years now. It's one of my favorite rifles. I'm not a cowboy action shooter - so mine is in stock configuration. Never have any issues with it. It's a great little carbine. Back in the 80s I worked for a rural county Sheriff's office. We had to furnish our own firearms and we carried .38/.357s. Mine was bought as a companion piece in the same caliber as my handgun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0301.JPG (223.5 KB, 26 views)
Old January 4, 2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Tad_T

Welcome to the forum.

This is my Rossi R92 with 24" octagonal barrel.

These are the first three rounds I ever shot out of it at 50 yards offhand, standing unsupported.

I figured that was pretty good. I've fired 200 rounds through mine so far and I like it a lot.

I liked it so much that I acquired one just like it in .38/.357 but I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:41 PM   #6
BerdanSS

I bought that exact rifle, the day after I bought it (after test firing of course) I headshot my first deer of the season on opening day at roughly 35 yards.

It's replaced my old 336 as my favorite all around go to rifle. (although the 336 is irreplaceable to me and by far the last gun I'd ever let go of, but that's a big ol long speal as for why )

Mine is a .44 mag, it's a literal BLAST to shoot .44 specials at the range. I get compliments on the gun all the time. I don't think you could go wrong with it. For the range your talking for deer, I'd defiantly go with the 24" octagon barrel.

Only two gripes I could come up with:
(1) I have a pretty large shoulder diameter, and while some of the .44 mags were just fine, and the specials had the recoil of a weak .38....I got a hold of some pretty stout PMC 44 mags, lets just say that in a T shirt....that steel crescent but plate was, uncomfortable at best.

(2) The rear sight elevator on mine was't cut very well and had a tendency to slip down with recoil. Leading to some rather embarrassing targets until I realized what was happening. That was a quick fix with a dremmel tool and some alumablack though.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 4, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:46 PM   #7
BerdanSS

Also, mine seems to be about on par with Tads rifle. Even though mine was a little low ....

until I elevated the rear sight

Old January 4, 2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Maggs

Thanks guys!

I'm telling the wife that this is the one. I'll keep my eye out, it may be awhile, but I am hoping to shoot it this summer in preparation for Deer Season 2014.

Maggs
Old January 5, 2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Nick_C_S

Longgunless

I own no long guns.

But I want to get a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag this year. Not sure on the specific model yet, but it'll definitely be chambered for 44 Mag.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:20 AM   #10
Hellgate

I shoot 357 mag with 777 (black powder substitute) in mine as well as occasional smokeless loads. With my own hand cast lead bullets I get 1.5" groups from the bench at 50 yds.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)