The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Sportdog

Barrel Length Reduction on a Double?

I recently received a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun that belonged to my mothers uncle, passed on to my father, passed on to me. It is made by Western Arms Company and is in OK condition but nothing fancy at all. I'm thinking of having the barrels shortened to the legal limit for a home defense weapon but have a couple of questions. 1) Do you guys think that this shotgun has any value to speak of? 2) What are the ramifications of having the barrel cut down besides the loss of choke? Thanks for any help.
Old October 3, 2007, 09:55 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

You'll lose a bit of velocity by cutting down the barrels, but that's trivial for a HD situation.

The loss of the chokes isn't a real issue either, HD situations are usually measured in feet, not yards..you want the buckshot to spread out a bit anyways at household distances.

I do not believe that western's are much in demand or very valuable. Have a smith look it over before you decide to use it if it has been unused for a long time.
Old October 3, 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Probably made by Ithaca, some collector value but not more than $1000 even if in LNIB condition. Better than average Utility SXS.

The problem with shortening barrels is that oft the barrels do not shoot to the same point afterwards. Barrel regulation is difficult and arcane. Re-regulation is not oft attempted.

And, how short does it need to be? A SxS with 28" barrels has about the same OA length as an 870 with a 20" barrel, and that's short enough for most folks.

And, it's an heirloom and a family artifact. Have a good smith check it out and every now and then go get dinner with it.

Spend about $200 and get a good used US made pump for HD. Learn to run it and you're ready....
Old October 8, 2007, 08:00 PM   #4
BoltWorks

I just had my side by side double shortened to 22" from 28". I like it quite well, handles a lot quicker. It all depends on what works for you.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:52 PM   #5
ocharry

my cowboy doubles are 24,,,as Goldie locks said not to short and not to long ,,, just right

ocharry
Old October 8, 2007, 09:51 PM   #6
Hawg

Why would anyone want to butcher an heirloom even if it's not valuable?
Old October 8, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7
geezer in NH

Leave it alone, if it has not been cut. Sell it to someone who will appreciate the gun.

Buy a super cheap cowboy coach gun with half the money and somehow buy something to remind you of you ancestor.

Sorry to seem blunt but that is the way many of us old gun owners feel.