The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 3, 2000, 07:47 AM   #1
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Does anyone use anything other than a Sharps (original or repro) or a Rolling Block (original or repro) for the long range stages? Those are mainly what I see in this area though I have seen some big bore Winchesters and Marlin leverguns singly loaded. Curiously I haven't seen any High Walls yet.
Old July 3, 2000, 08:11 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy fal,

We hold a monthly long range match at our club,and a lot of the folks there use Browning Hi-Walls. They are are great guns and not outrageously expensive. The advantage that one might have in a side match is that when you drop the lever,it cocks the hammer,whereas a Rolling Block or Sharps has to be manually cocked.

Bellicose Bill
Old July 3, 2000, 08:32 AM   #3
terridarri

Fal, about the time I get Slinger's mouth to quit watering for a rolling block you have to bring it back up. LOL

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT
Old July 3, 2000, 10:42 AM   #4
Gunslinger

I do not own one and frankly can not explain it, but I've always had fondness for the Martini action. Our own Peter Knight is kin with the Martini family. Several months ago he and I had Email discussions regarding the various merits of the Martini.
Alas, it is a moot point however. SASS does not allow the Martini for long range events. It seems it is not authentic since it lacks and external hammer. This in spite of the fact that the design was introduced and used in the 19th century and used in the American west.

------------------
Gunslinger
Old July 4, 2000, 07:34 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, Pete and I used to talk on the chat room that HS had on Saturday mornings and we often talked of single shots. His latest passion was a Spenser he picked by somewhere. Talk about a cool CAS gun
Old July 4, 2000, 06:43 PM   #6
El Chimango Pete

Well, not quite... at the time we were discussing the possibility of building a Spenser... yep Gunslinger was in on that one too - terridari, you had better keep hip slavering over the Rolling Block! -
My missus' first husband (married her a widder lady near on 30 years back) was the next in line from Fredrich Martini, so the the 'kin' is through her children and grand (and currently a brand new 'great grand'), all hee in argentina. But the Martini (Peabody: Martini's innovation was after the US inventor and more to do with the adaption to brass cartridge -and the concealed hammer, though there was some dispute over that at the time) is close enough to the family for drooling over - alas, none here been available yet. SASS would consider it 'out of period' perhaps - but WASA could allow it - it is of course cowboy or 'western' action shooting and Martini/Peabody's were not prominent then and there...
Seems a space though for extending the concept beyond the American frontier. 'Historical re-enactment'? whatever.
An odd footnote - here in Argentina all guns and gun owners have to be registered - but firearms patented before 1870 are exempt, as 'antiques' - the cutoff is the brass cartridge and to a less extent, the breechloaders.
Hasta pronto amigos
Peter Knight
(aka "El Chimango Pete" - notorious bandolero this far south of the Rio Grande)
Old July 5, 2000, 09:12 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Romano Rifle Company of Penneville, NY is building Spencer lever action rifles again. It's slightly modified as it takes modern ammunition instead of the original rimfire. Romano does good work and enjoys a high reputation among Civil War Reenactors.
Old July 6, 2000, 08:44 AM   #8
Ned Roundtree

Sure would like to see one of those Spencers.
Old July 6, 2000, 03:10 PM   #9
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Taylor & Co. is making a Spencer repro. I saw one at Mule Camp. They had a completed rifle and lovely case-hardened action. They also had the receiver parts in various stages of the machining process. I don't think they're selling them quite yet,but they're probably pretty close. While not a Romano,they probably will be a bit more affordable.

Bellicose Bill
Old July 9, 2000, 09:44 PM   #10
El Chimango Pete

Sure 'nuff - but it would be intresting to see how one gets a centerfire out of a Spencer action - its really like an 'upside down Martini/Peabody' and the solid rotating block provides its best point- much as a sliding block - in the Sharps and the Browning High-Wall (or a Ruger #1 etc) does... extreme mecanical strength. It did seem at the time that it could be a way towards gettin a 454 Casull cartidge pressure to work in a repeating carbine - and the unique feed from a magazine up through the stock thrown in...
Beg' pardon iffn' I drift off the cowboy fireside - but there aint no place these subjects would seem to fit otherwise
Hsata pronto
El Chimango Pete (SASS 20037, WASA 543, NRA ... etc, State Penitentiary # (oh - forget it, th' Sheriff did)
Old July 16, 2000, 08:54 PM   #11
El Chimango Pete

Yesterday - took my Marlin Guide Gun to one of the local ranges - hoping to impress the natives and all that - and there was a kid there with a Rolling Block - the little cavalry carbine , also in 45/70. Doggone it we shot them together and that li' rifle was truly impressive - from his grandad, probably mint and a history behind it... from the region. Most likely issue to the Argentine Militia in the wars against the southern Indians that wern't taking too kindly to these new colonists - mostly from Italy. The kid didn't even know it was a remington!. Reminded me agqain that 'cowboy' action wasn't just the US frontier - and that our Argentine history wasn't just 'gauchos' with knives and lances...
Maybe there are some Spensres and Sharps around there too - and some 'trapdoor springfields' as well - alas, not much trace of Martini tho'
Hasta pronto
Peter Knight

Salud, dinero... y tiempo para disfrutarlo