The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
haliwa04

Newbie to gun safes

The collection is getting started and I'd really like something better than a locked up closet for my tools. I've been pondering on safes and trying to figure out which direction to go. Problem is, I've never bought a safe or really talked to anyone about them. I do, however know a good safe is heavy as a mofo, I helped a friend move three very large safes into his new home and it took three big monkeys and some heavy duty back power. I'd like something that is very sturdy as I don't plan on getting rid of my guns. The problem is, we live in a mobile home, my girlfriends mom moved to Pittsburgh and left us the place. Who's going to say no to free rent on an almost 40 acre wooded lot. All the neighbors are family but one. And its far enough out of town and off the road that no one dare visit without permission. So I don't think I need fort Knox and I'm a little worried that the weight of a good safe may be too much for the closet. I thought about one of those little green high school locker looking things, but I dunno if that's good enough. We have 4 small kids that are familiar with guns and are not allowed in our bedroom at all unless we take them in it, and they follow that law like there electric wires across the door. Any suggestions that won't destroy my bank account?
Old June 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Once Fired

For the mobile home / closet weight issue - couldn't you simply put cinder blocks directly under the closet to properly reinforce the floor? From what I have seen, most mobile homes use blocks like that for support, anyway. It would not appear out of place, and would be a cheap solution.

That wouldn't solve the issue surrounding transport into/out of the mobile home,
but it would largely prevent fatigue on the floor joists over time.

Once Fired
Texas Security Guard Jobs
Old June 28, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
g.willikers

How about a modular safe:
http://www.stronggunsafes.com/modular-gun-safe.html
Old June 28, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
PetahW

In my experience, mobile home construction isn't sturdy enough to take that kind of concentrated weight; and if a good gun safe did get installed inside, it could most likely be snatched outside through the exterior wall & dragged away, chained to a truck bumper.

(My family & I lived in a mobile home near Ft.Bragg during my last 6mos in the service.)

If I was in your situation, I'd take the tack: "out of sight, out of mind", and build in a false wall somewhere, just deep enough to secrete whatever you need to secrete - being sure to leave no other evidence of firearms (like ammo, accessories and/or gun books) laying around to suggest that there may be a firearm somewhere in/on the premises.

Old June 28, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
colbad

As you stated in your opening, good safes are not only hard to force open but also hard to carry away by a couple of dude's and a PU truck. Chances are that a burglar is not going to spend a lot of time working on the safe in your house. This problem can generally be solved by buying one sufficiently heavy or securing a lighter version to the floor or wall.

In the case of a trailer I would look for a means or securing it to one of the structural supports underneath. The suggestion of reinforcing with cinder blocks underneath is good, but a 1000 lbs plus safe sitting in one place over time will take its toll and sag the floor. I personally would get under the structure and work something up that does not permit the safe from just being "popped" out of the floor or carried off. A small cider block wall with bolts or long threaded rod set in the cement can be a means of securing a lighter safe that will not get carried off if you can't secure to a hard point.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
haliwa04

Re: Newbie to gun safes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetahW View Post

In my experience, mobile home construction isn't sturdy enough to take that kind of concentrated weight; and if a good gun safe did get installed inside, it could most likely be snatched outside through the exterior wall & dragged away, chained to a truck bumper.

(My family & I lived in a mobile home near Ft.Bragg during my last 6mos in the service.)

If I was in your situation, I'd take the tack: "out of sight, out of mind", and build in a false wall somewhere, just deep enough to secrete whatever you need to secrete - being sure to leave no other evidence of firearms (like ammo, accessories and/or gun books) laying around to suggest that there may be a firearm somewhere in/on the premises.

Lol, I have a pit/boxer mix and an elderly German shepherd that alert when the bushes rattle. On top of that, the way the property is set up, if they can get up the driveway undetected(someone's always home between us and the woman's family) without being detected, confronted and run off, they must be marines or special forces. We have someone that lives between us and the only road in and out, and I think everyone within 5 miles is armed to the teeth(sheriff came to be nosey when someone not to far away set off 50lbs of tannerite and wound up calling backup because he was scared to go up the driveway). I think the main concern would be kids #1, some random unlucky soul that happens to try the wrong house, and maybe just maybe the event that shtf, I'd like to have something a little sturdier than wood between my armory and bandits looter etc.

I do have a spot in my house to do the hidden wall deal, and its being discussed privately(not going to Lowes and ask how to turn a cabinet into a safe)
Old June 28, 2013, 11:53 PM   #7
JimmyR

I had the same concerns as the OP about having a safe (mine in a 2nd floor apartment). I ended up getting a Frontier under-bed safe. Granted, the electronic part doesn't work anymore, but I use the key for all my uses. I store 8-10 handguns in there, and if I go out of town, I often pull the bolt from my Savage Mk II and the barrel from my shotgun and put them in as well. I bought mine from a local store, and can't complain too much, especially since it's wide base makes it easier on unsure floors.