The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 25, 2015, 07:52 PM   #1
DavidB2

1858 Remington target revolver .44 cal?

Anybody have any experience with the 1858 Remington target revolver by Pietta? I wonder if you can use it at in N-SSA events? From what I read it's pretty accurate. Much more than the regular 1858 Remington. Or is it just a gimmick to sell a pistol?
Old August 25, 2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Bishop Creek

I'm sure Rookie21 will be along soon, he had two threads on this revolver just a couple of weeks ago.

While we're waiting, keep in mind that there are two different Pietta "target" models:

Target Model
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3512

Shooters Model:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=4098

Last edited by Bishop Creek; August 25, 2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old August 25, 2015, 11:48 PM   #3
DavidB2

Less expensive Target model

I'm referring to the Target model.
Old August 26, 2015, 02:27 PM   #4
noelf2

It's no more accurate than one without target sights. The target sights simply allow you to adjust the rear site elevation and windage to point of impact.

Last edited by noelf2; August 26, 2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old August 26, 2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Bishop Creek

Here is Rookie21s original thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565496
Old August 27, 2015, 12:34 AM   #6
Vagunmonkey

The target model is not N-SSA approved because of the adjustable sight. The Dixie shooters model is approved, and a fine shooter, although currently a bit over priced.
Old August 29, 2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Rookie21

I'm not gonna say much because I feel like I've beat this poor horse enough. However - I'm of the understanding that the shooters model is a discontinued gun no longer produced. The fact that Dixie still advertises it probably means they have left over stock. I may be mistaken so if so then please correct me. The target model is identical to one with out sights that's not the shooters model. Just the plain jane model.

Now I got very lucky and was able to have my target model inspected amongst seven identical guns. We were looking for a gun where the chambers properly lined up. In a revolver this is critical. Needless to say we got a good one. But on the target model if you research reviews on it you'll see that I'm not the first nor only to have problems with the sights. Read my previous thread.

And about the shooters model - mine doesn't shave lead on the forcing cone but the chambers don't line up as well as my target model. (I have both models) the target model is dead nuts on in line with the bore. Every one of em.

You need to inspect guns in person and buy the one that mechanically checks out. $950 or $350 it doesn't matter. Your chambers lining up with the bore does. I got a great target model but upon inspection of seven guns not all lined up. Mine of the seven was alone. No other gun came close in comparison. So we got lucky to find one of this quality. It's hit and miss.