The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1
rb-illinois

Dan Wesson 9mm Havoc

I have been seriously contemplating buying one but won't until i read reviews from people who have purchased one. Before i lay out that amount of cash i need to have more info than a mouth watering picture and an impressive article or two. Any help appreciated.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
geetarman

I have seen them in the catalog but not in person. I was at the range yesterday and was talking to one of the factory shooters and what he said was that CZ is not taking orders for Dan Wesson factory guns. They are moving to all custom and semi custom Dan Wesson guns.

I asked him about the Dan Wesson PM9 and Valor etc. What he tells me is that the custom shop will continue to get the guns but will perform some upgrades to all of them. Exactly what means is not really clear to me.

He said there are no factory Dan Wesson guns in the shop. Ones that are received will all become semi-custom guns.

Not sure what that will entail as the two DW guns I have shoot pretty fine as they are. He mentioned the barrel bushings will all be modified but was not clear on any other changes.

You might as well figure on a price increase across the board. The guns are pretty spendy as they are but they do shoot good.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 16, 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Venom1956

That's pretty cool about dan Wesson. Shame bout the standard ones being discontinued. Great guns for the money
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 17, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
redrick

I bought a PM9 and it had to go back after my first range trip, but their CS was good.

I bought a PM9 few years ago from the custom shop. It had to go back to the factory for repair after my first outting with it. It failed to return to battery and locked up so tight that I could hardly un-jam it. It also was not locking open sometimes when empty.

I called CZ and they were fast with sending me everything to send it back ( no cost to me ) . I got it back in about 2 weeks and it has worked perfectly since.

Last edited by redrick; February 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Topthis

I've got 2 Dan Wessons. CBOB and the Guardian in .45, love em both!! The Guardian is my Carry because of it's lighter weight.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
KyJim

I have the Guardian 9mm and really like it. I use a thumb forward hold with my weak (left) hand and noticed that if I rode the slide stop lever, it would sometimes cause a feeding issue. As long as I keep off the slide stop lever, it functions great.

I also own four other DWs in .45 acp and 10mm. They are excellent pistols. They had a fire that burned down their production facility in November so that supplies are limited and prices are at a premium right now. Production is slated to resume sometime in March.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Venom1956

Really a fire? No one was injured I hope?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 18, 2013, 09:30 PM   #8
KyJim

Yep, a fire. Fortunately nobody was injured. They were in a pretty small facility. I'm hoping they take the opportunity to expand a bit and increase production -- so long as quality remains high.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:35 AM   #9
bluetopper

What's wrong with a mouth watering pic?

Had my PM9 since '07 I think, maybe '08. It has not been without issue though. Shortly after getting it I started having light primer strikes. DW sent me another firing pin spring which helped nothing. I ordered an extra long firing pin from Dawson Precision and have had zero problems since. I have tens of k's of my cast lead reloads down the pipe and the fit and accuracy is still as good as it ever was. I couldn't happier with it. An absolute pleasure to own and shoot........and looks pretty good too.

Last edited by bluetopper; February 19, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Venom1956

Nice pic. with that lighting the polished flats look almost black!

I wish I had a camera setup to photograph my guns... My crap camera doesn't do them justice.

To the OP: I wouldn't really put to much faith in a gun article... I mean whens the last time the guys ever given a gun a bad review? DW makes great guns and their CS has been really awesome the numerous times I've contacted them. They also appear to take pride in what they make, if it has an issue they take great measures to help you fix it. Also it seems once someone owns one DW they tend to purchase another if that says anything.

If i were in the market for a double stack 1911 the DW Elite Series would be high on my list, Sadly I'm not a fan of double stack 1911s...

Last edited by Venom1956; February 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:45 PM   #11
bluetopper

Yes, you're correct about getting another Dan Wesson after you have owned one.
The reason I got my PM-9 is because I bought a slightly used PM-1, 45 that I found in a pawn shop a couple of years before and was taken back by its quality.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #12
geetarman

Quote:
Yes, you're correct about getting another Dan Wesson after you have owned one.
Man that is the EXPENSIVE truth!!!

They do shoot good.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 19, 2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Venom1956

Quote:
The reason I got my PM-9 is because I bought a slightly used PM-1, 45 that I found in a pawn shop a couple of years before and was taken back by its quality.
I found an old used pointman @ a gander mt. they were asking a whopping 500 for it. I wish I had the coin on me that day. They 'never heard of it' so obviously it wasn't as good as the kimbers they sold... LOL

I got a Valor because it was my dream gun since I was 18. Then I got a PM9 to go with it for my GF. (i wanted it too)

I believe Geeter did the opposite? PM9 then Valor right?

Both my guns have been flawless. I've had only one fail to feed but that was because we were testing a damaged 1911 mag (follower) And one failure in the PM9 but that's because the shooter had his thumb placed behind the slide.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Darker Loaf

I want a HAVOK 9mm with open sights, no charging handle.

Also, Venom: what! Why didn't you buy the PM9 for me!!! Noes! Hah. I'm broke. NP.