The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
jman841

Just Starting

Hello guys, I have not posted on here in a while but i have a few questions.

I have just started loading and went to a few gun stores today to pick up some of the essentials. (dies, powder, primers, bullets, ect.) and was wondering what combination gives you guys the best bang for your buck with Powders, bullets, and primers. I am reloading for .308 win using the Lee Aniversry kit.

I picked up a pound of IMR 4064 for 28 bucks which was pretty high as i found out afterwards. 1000 Remington primers for 40 bucks, which is high as well but its so hard to find primers around here I didn't mind paying a little more. and some .30 cal 150 grain RN bullets for 24 bucks for 100.

I am just starting so I am looking to save some money as i learn about reloading and will get more into quality products once i understand the process and have more spare change.

So I guess my question is what Powders, bullets, and primers offer you the best bang for your buck in .308 winchester?
Old November 27, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Gbro

Looks like you will use a couple gr. more 4064 in loads with equal velocity with RL-7 and IMR3031.
To save some pennies, a lighter bullet and a light powder charge.
Good to get the hang of reloading with light loads.

What are you interested in reloading for other than target shooting??

Check out the sticky's at the top and wear your safety glasses
Good luck!
Old November 27, 2009, 09:40 PM   #3
jman841

For right now its just target shooting but in the future it will be used for hunting.
Old November 27, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
hornady

Sad to say, But as you found out. Powder and primers are still scares. I have an order in going on 7 months now. Today its pretty much what you can find. If this BS ever ends. Then you may be able to be choosy. And look for the deals. Bad time to start loading. I have loaded Ammo for 40 years. And never seen it this bad.