The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 4, 2009, 07:38 PM   #1
freddui2

casting help

I am supposed to teach a class tomorrow and would love to have them all cast at least one round bullet. As I am unable to find the actual bullet casting mould at the moment, is there anything I could substitute for roughly the same shape and size? I need all of the help I can get.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:09 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the very old days, moulds were made of many materials, including stone, but for reasons of safety I would postpone that class until you can find a real bullet mould. Molten lead is not something to fool around with if you don't have the proper equipment.

Jim
Old May 4, 2009, 09:29 PM   #3
scrat

postpone it. Then think nice and hard about what your doing. go get something to drink walk around the block clear your mind then come back here. WHY

1. casting is not hard but does and can give off fumes that are dangerous
2. Casting involves heating lead to over 700 degrees
3. Casting is not forgiving mistakes leave to burns

now here is what you need

1. a heat source. an electrical type is best as you get a constant heat source rather than a flame which will vary in temperature
2. molds. with wooden handles dont get some cheap ones that are all steel
3. a casting pot unless you are going to use an electric type
4. ladels, screw drivers and WAX regular candle wax.

heat up the lead until it is fully melted. then add a pea sized amount of wax. the lead will fume up and smoke sometimes even flame up.

then stir up the lead a lot until all the dirt and goo comes up to the top. you will see a lot of grayish red ash come up to the top. Scoop it up and out. pour it in a tin can or something.

now the lead is ready. you now need to heat up the molds otherwise the lead will not fill out and will start to harden up as soon as you pour it. if you put a corner of the mold into the lead and count to about 30 that may get you started. The molds should be clean and slightly lubed not on the cavity but on the halves. now either use the ladel or if you have a bottom pour furnace pour the lead into the mold at a good temperature. you should wait to around 4 seconds after you pour then strike the sprue plate. if it requres a lot of force to hit open the sprue plate then you need to heat up the mold some more. might as well put the lead back into the pot. when you are ready to empty the mold for a class room demonstration. get a towel wet it really good then ring out the excess water. Then open the mold just right above the towel. the round ball will fall on the towel. Let it cool down all the way before you touch it.

Make sure everyone is using proper gloves long sleeves pants and you have plenty of ventelation,

Tags
casting